advertisement

The DSD Myth

All very well Keith but it IS a very good way to archive analogue, and then you need ideally to be able to play it back in native format. And I personally found 128 to be great whilst not taking to 64 for recording.

The article also seems to miss the fact that there are AFAIK no multibit or non oversampling dac chips on the market these days. Any digital replay goes through numerous changes it seems.

Of course if you are selling DSP based loudspeakers, or working in studios on digital work stations, then there is no way of keeping DSD in it's native format.

The real problem is that you simply can't do anything in the digital domain and keep the DSD bitstream intact. Archiving vinyl and playing it back ,you don't really need to - although I now have a chain that goes A-D-A-D-A with Devialet.

I'd be hard pushed to tell most of these options apart I suspect under controlled conditions. Must try it sometime.

Devialet does indeed. But the Tascam records and plays DSD 5.6 so I can listen on headphones to pure dsd conversion or feed the amps with analogue and go PCM.

I doubt Devialet will ever offer 5.6 as the Dacs are not capable but 2.8 might be possible in the future. In all honesty though, the differences are smaller than most imagine - including me I might add.

All very well Keith but it IS a very good way to archive analogue, and then you need ideally to be able to play it back in native format. And I personally found 128 to be great whilst not taking to 64 for recording.

The article also seems to miss the fact that there are AFAIK no multibit or non oversampling dac chips on the market these days. Any digital replay goes through numerous changes it seems.

Of course if you are selling DSP based loudspeakers, or working in studios on digital work stations, then there is no way of keeping DSD in it's native format.

Well, the lampi DSD dac has no chip (http://www.lampizatorna.com/dsd-dac/).

DSD is good for classical, unless you are using a processor where it downsamples to PCM for room correction.

advertisement

Back