advertisement

The Downside of NAS Streaming

Thanks. 10 days of work?
I'm trying to understand how much time you will need to spend.
I set off the backup in the morning, occasionally check to see if a backup hard disk has, been done. If it has, I bung another one in the HD dock & get on with my life.
Overall, it's not an onerous job.

Chris

I have 9000 titles 90% I no longer listen to and Tidal , im listening to new music and exploring new directions mostly these day
I could probably find 98% of my collection on tidal anyway..

50 k cd's really? Maybe it 'feels like' that but assuming £5 each on average that's £250k on music which is er... extreme. That would pay for a few years streaming lossless...over 1000 years by my fag packet calculations...

I have roughly 2500 records
Cd and lp
Many yet unheard

Only problem is to find something in my boxsets if looking for a particular one

To explore new music I use a pc and buy the record afterwards if I like it.

50 k cd's really? Maybe it 'feels like' that but assuming £5 each on average that's £250k on music which is er... extreme. That would pay for a few years streaming lossless...over 1000 years by my fag packet calculations...
I've been collecting music since I was 14 (1965), CDs since 1984. I replaced all of my vinyl collection where possible with CDs, and did needle drops on the ones which were not released on CDs.

I agree, I am a tad obsessional with regard to my music collection.

With regard to streaming lossless, none of the lossless services have much of the music I love in their libraries. My main interest is west coast psychedelia and 60's garage/punk rock. If I had to rely on streaming services for, say, the Everpresent Fulness, steel wind, Grootna or literally thousands of obscure bands, I'd be knackered. Also, there is no guarantee that any given streaming service won't go tits up at some time in the future. If I have the stuff on my NAS, I am not reliant on any outside agency for my music.

Chris

Wow! Impressed. Maybe start your own streaming service?...there is much room for eclectic collections I'm sure. Given that most streaming services don't make much money (allegedly) this is a daft suggestion on my part even if technically it was easy to do.

I set off the backup in the morning, occasionally check to see if a backup hard disk has, been done. If it has, I bung another one in the HD dock & get on with my life.
Overall, it's not an onerous job.

Phew - nothing like the horrors I was imagining.
I've probably spent a similar amount of time looking for mislaid/filed CDs in the last few months!

two servers 2 x 4 tera mirrored plus auto back up on each. replaced /upgraded qnap 2 years ago. ..then two backups that I occasionally bring up date which are stored elsewhere 30250+ cds . hope never to re-rip

two servers 2 x 4 tera mirrored plus auto back up on each. replaced /upgraded qnap 2 years ago. ..then two backups that I occasionally bring up date which are stored elsewhere 30250+ cds . hope never to re-rip
Ripping my CDs was a gargantuan task. In the end, I hired a lass to do it. It took her 18 months!
I still have my CDs in storage as a back up of last resort, but if I had to do it again, I think I'd take up golf instead!

Chris

I just stream and use my CD player or vinyl if I don’t have the music available. Seems like such a waste of life to start ripping all this stuff. Turns me of it just thinking about it.

advertisement

Back