advertisement

The Downfall of the Hi-Fi Industry - A light hearted take!

Funny but seen this before on other subjects. The question should be how does the Hi-Fi Industry survive with its current High prices I thought it was Sept. still ,not October. November HFN &RR is already out, Primare pre& Power amp £6500 each interestingly has 3 pin mains input, I would not buy a power amp without but not at this OTT price. Magico Speakers £25K ?

Very good and amusing.

However the hi-fi industry has simply been reborn, and for that we have to thank Mr Jobs and his like.

Good digital and clean amplification is now widespread and cheap. The cottage industries will keep the TT alive for those wanting it. The quality available to a kid with an iPod and buds is massively superior to some shitty 70s budget TT, manky cartridge and peaky loudspeakers.

The processing power now available to shape sound into any form you wish, replicating both recording venue and adapting the listening environment is already with us.

The old hi-fi industry needed to be reborn because it was no longer fit for purpose.

In stating this I'm of course referring to providing good audio to the masses, and in this respect things have never been better. For collectors and those interested in audio history things are somewhat different. Two completely different industries in fact, but those wedded to old technology hi-fi shouldn't be so arrogant as to automatically assume it superior.

...but those wedded to old technology hi-fi shouldn't be so arrogant as to automatically assume it superior.

It's not an automatic assumption, it's a painful observation borne of numerous bad experiences.

Peculiar he didn't complain about the power brownouts at the time and the importance of good sounding UPS's...

Very good and amusing.

However the hi-fi industry has simply been reborn, and for that we have to thank Mr Jobs and his like.

As proved to me yesterday, sort of, with iPhone in aircraft mode feeding an all Naim NDS/552/2x300+500/BMR Snaxo/S800 setup. It did sound rather nice! Thank you Norman and Ian.

A magnificent cinematic performance helping to make a very good point - the hi-fi industry that many of us know & love was forced to change but I am perfectly happy with my tower of Naim electronics, lots of 'dressed' cables & speakers sat away from the wall atop dedicated stands. If visitors pass comment I normally invite them to listen to a CD & they generally turn the volume down to tell me how great their £100 iPod dock sounds in the kitchen... :-/

advertisement

Back