advertisement

"The Doors" in vinyl

nbaptista

pfm Member
Well, I have the chance to buy an old(60´s) "The Doors" álbuns in vinyl. What I don´t know if the mastering in the sixty was so good as it is now today.I remind to read that in the 60´s the masterization was not so important. I have all "The Doors" in cd labeled " Digitally Remasterized". What you think? Should I buy the old vinyl álbuns or not?

Last edited:
Presuming you’re talking about the band’s debut album, Mr Fremer addresses that question, sorta, here:

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/doors-45-45

“I listened first to the double 45 and even though it was cut from "the best available" tape because the master is either missing or not in any condition to be used (the rest of the catalog was sourced from the master tapes) the amount of detail and space produced here is superior to any version of this that I've heard save for the Elektra original, which is serious competition though good luck finding a clean quiet one. Even then the 45rpm cut's spaciousness, dynamics and bass power and particularly the overall sound on what are the inner tracks on the original LP are better on the double 45 cut using an all vacuum tube chain just as was the original.”

Sorry, is not "The Doors" álbum, but the band "The Doors".I have the chance to buy a few álbuns from the sixties of "the Doors".

I bought Strange Days Mono Master 180g (from 2017) last December and it sounded good. Can't compare with any other decent source however.

The Doors catalogue was extensively remixed from the multitrack master a decade or so ago (Doors Of Perception box onwards), so chances are you won’t be comparing the same thing with a modern mastering to vintage. Personally despite feeling the Doors Of Perception box is pretty decent I’m no fan of rewriting history so I’d go for the originals every time.

Obviously the most collectable and valuable pressings will be US 1st pressings, either mono or stereo, and rightfully so. Good ones are worth *a lot* as one would expect. I’d certainly go this route if the price and condition is ok. I’ve got a mixture of the Steve Hoffman DCC vinyl (also very expensive these days, though I bought them new) and a couple of later issues, plus the Doors Of Perception CD/DVD box. No originals sadly!

Portuguese pressings are decidedly average IME, usually tape generation or two removed from UK or US originals and not cut by anyone with any connection to the artist. The rule of thumb is 1st press from country of origin and it is seldom wrong. I’d be inclined to look for later US or UK pressings if you must have vinyl, otherwise consider digital.

The Rhino pressings from 2009 are pretty good and can be found relatively cheap. Not as good as the Analogue Productions obviously but the 45rpm AP are very expensive.

OK, I´m looking for an English or USA pressings, otherwise I´m keeping the digital copies I have.Really, some Portuguese pressings are a waste of Money.I have a few and sometimes are unlistenable!

advertisement

Back