advertisement

The difference between music on physical media and music digital

And also digital is still a moving target, for archiving the past canon of human music multigenerational storage and higher densities are already with us such that the poor old hard drive's days are numbered. Fortunately bits being bits they can be migrated fast and easy as each storage medium becomes more and more robust. At the moment we are grasping at translating an old metaphor to a new one, so we have the same necrophiliac response with album art sleeves and even track orders what about the development on non linear non serial art forms: this clinging to "a thing" a fixed entity freezes our concept of music as much as it reveals most people's singular unimaginative demands from new media.

The state of composition is such that digital distribution changes absolutely everything about both adaptive and fixed form media, issues like site specificity become possible compositions will, not can, but will be issued that can be played sectionally and simultaneously, across different rooms or spaces and contexts and in different orders and in different patterns, dependent on situation and anything the composer chooses to include: as we become more visible to hardware, it will read a person and extrapolate data from their interactions and adapt accordingly, music as we know it is about to undergo one of he biggest and greatest shifts in its history because of technology which has historically always been one of the driving factors in the development of music and composition as an art form.

Recreating a record collection is just the beginning: stage one or two -- its the simplistic transitional use of the digital medium, to recreate the paradigm of vinyl and try and capture its experience, the generation growing up under us will be the last to experience fixed form "recorded music" as the only medium and vast vast territories are being opened up and explored as I read and research that seem to point to man/machine/space interaction as just one avenue for new forms of audio and sensory expression as home entertainment. already we see collaborative "music" apps as a possible stage three, a tentative step in to this territory.

The rest is thesis stuff, If you can just imagine what the human race can do with music with technologies just beginning... Wow...

I've done the work and have more than enough music to enjoy from what I have built up over forty years along with the steady stream of new music I add to the collection on a monthly basis. I'll leave the infinite amount of digital music to others, I'm good!

I listen to music on all formats. Spotify, CDs ripped to my NAS and vinyl. But I have noticed a thing. The music I have on either vinyl or cd holds more value to me. Especially my vinyls. I will often forget music I only have storred in digital form. And I will create sooo many playlists with new music on spotify that I will loose track of what I want to hear.
When I choose a vinyl from my collection I usually hear it all the way through and I decide what I want to hear upon browsing through my collection. This is why, for me, I will never stop buying vinyls or physical media. :)

And the great thing about CDs is that you always have a backup.

I have spotify premium and 100s of CD's ripped to NAS, I still have an linn ikemi that tends to sit there looking pretty most of the time too. Vinyl still reigns king for me though, I have spent about £70 on vinyl tonight (usually spend about £20 a month)

I would go for 20 favourite pieces of vinyl or CD then 20Gb or 20000 pieces of softcopy ripped songs in library

and tend to skip songs in digital copies. itchy finger

very inpatient during computer playback session.

I noticed it makes a big difference switching from "shuffle tracks" to "shuffle albums". You force yourself to a more relaxed music listening experience.

advertisement

Back