advertisement

The Colston Statue 4

Fantastic news! \o/

PS I assume the fact they had been trolled for years by a blatantly racist Tory councillor probably helped (link).

Farage, The Express, Private Francois and GB News will be furiously eruptin. Julia Heartless Brewer will be calling for them to be stripped of their citizenship. It’s one in the eye for flag shaggers. Cant wait to check The Spectator/ Torygraph/DM. Charles Moore- can you imagine?

Farage, The Express, Private Francois and GB News will be furiously eruptin. Julia Heartless Brewer will be calling for them to be stripped of their citizenship. It’s one in the eye for flag shaggers. Cant wait to check The Spectator/ Torygraph/DM. Charles Moore- can you imagine?

The DM headline is "License to destroy"

Thought it was a bit cool throwing the racist shit into the river from a harbour named after a slave.

https://visitbristol.co.uk/things-to-do/peros-bridge-p269523

The bridge is named after Pero, also known as Pero Jones, who lived from around 1753 to 1798, arriving in Bristol from the Caribbean Island of Nevis in 1783, as the slave of the merchant John Pinney (1740–1818) at 7 Great George Street.[1][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pinney

Over 20 years John Pretor Pinney built up both the size and number of the estates he either owned outright or as a mortgagee, as well as increasing the number of enslaved people he owned. Soon after his arrival on Nevis, between January 1765 and July 1768 John Pretor Pinney bought over sixty Africans.[3] After his first purchase he wrote:

Since my arrival I’ve purchased nine negroe slaves at St Kitts and can assure you I was shock’d at the first appearance of human flesh exposed to sale. But surely God ordain’d ‘em for ye use & benefit of us: otherwise his Divine Will would have been made manifest by some particular sign or token.[4]

Later, he owned between 170 and 210 people on his 394 acre plantation 'Mountravers', producing sugar and rum to be shipped to Bristol and London.[5] In 1772 Pinney married a white Creole, Jane Weekes, with whom he had seven children.[2] When Pinney left Nevis to return to England with his family in 1783 he was worth about £70,000 (the equivalent of £8.5 million as of 2019, based on the percentage increase in the Retail Price Index from 1783 to 2019).[6][1]

The statue was an abomination and should have been taken down by the authorities 50 years ago. The same applies to similar symbols of the slave trade in Liverpool.

It was always seeking to glorify the slave trade by the racists of the time, long after it had been abolished. It's not as if it's the historic aftefact that the rightwing always claim. Bristol Council should have known much better.

I've never thought a statue glorifies anyone, if all these public reminders of the horrors of our past are to be removed maybe we need to make doubly sure that history is taught and taught truthfully.

Remembering the dates of our rulers since 1066 never enlightened me in any way.

I've never thought a statue glorifies anyone, if all these public reminders of the horrors of our past are to be removed maybe we need to make doubly sure that history is taught and taught truthfully.

I was always deeply impressed by the statue of the Bells Asbestos Man that stood outside the Bestobell factory in Slough.

Sadly long gone now, for some reason.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20141127/283184376744870

Stone me, the statue’s gone
  • Daily Mail
  • 27 Nov 2014
  • Compiled by Charles Legge
img

Work of art: Stonemason Kitey Harris and his statue. Right: Bell’s Asbestos Ltd

QUESTION The company Bestobell, when based in Slough, had an iconic statue of a fireproof suit outside its factory. When Bestobell left Slough, the statue went. Where is it? The Bestobell company has its origins in the 1880s, when John Bell acquired samples of chrysotile asbestos from Canada; he then sought advice from a Lancashire cotton spinner and weaver, Samuel Turner, who entered an agreement to supply woven asbestos to Bell.

After various changes in ownership, Bells Asbestos And engineering Supplies Ltd, or Bestobell, moved from London to Slough, in 1929. It was a very successful company for many years, producing fire protective equipment for firemen, welders, steel workers, potters etc, insulation panels for aircraft construction and coach builders, sound and heat insulation, packing as well as asbestos ducting, rollers and belts for handling hot metal.

Bestobell supplied the Air Ministry with fire-fighting clothing; asbestos flying- suits, helmets, gloves and boots. The company also supplied coloured asbestos fabrics for aircraft upholstery and sound and fire-insulating materials for engine and cabin bulkheads. In 1936, Bestobell commissioned stonemason Kitey harris to carve a statue based on the F53 heavyweight suit in Portland stone from a quarry near Worth Matravers, Dorset.

The partly-carved statue was driven to Slough so the craftsman could finish the legs and feet once it was in position outside the works.

I used to pass the statue on my way to work on Slough trading estate in the Seventies. The Bestobell man is now in storage in a building on Slough trading estate, owned by Segro, the company that owns and manages Slough trading estate. There are no plans to put it on display. P. Ronson, Slough, Berks.

I was always deeply impressed by the statue of the Bells Asbestos Man that stood outside the Bestobell factory in Slough.

Still mined in Russia which is amazing, cost us a fortune sorting that one.

An explanatory plaque would be some form of memorial.

Still remember the last bottle of wine shared with a friend who died as a result of one summer working with blue asbestos.

advertisement

Back