advertisement

The classical CD recommendation thread...

Can anyone point me in the direction as to which version of Kathleen Ferrier/Bruno Walter's Mahler 'Das Lied Von der Erde' I should go for sound quality wise?

Do I go for the Decca 'Legends' release or, as the recording is out of copyright, the Naxos version??

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed the Ferrier documentary ('An Ordinary Diva'?) shown recently on BBC4 and want to get hold of some of her best recordings.

The Decca disc is excellent, there is a whole wodge of Katleen Ferrier stuff being re-issued, you might want to check it out.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Go for the Decca: despite the recording being out of copyright, it was Decca who paid for the session, and it's Decca who have access to the mastertape. The Naxos, by contrast, is essentially a pirate copy, which has to have been mastered from a second generation source.

OK Thanks Graham.

I was aware of Decca having the masters, but it's surprising that one or two people actually prefer the Naxos disc (which appears to be taken from LP sources).

The Decca disc is excellent, there is a whole wodge of Katleen Ferrier stuff being re-issued, you might want to check it out.

I know Barry- There's a smashing looking 14CD+DVD set of all of Ferrier's recordings for Decca that's just been issued, but even at a relatively decent cost of around £50 it might be a little too much Kathleen Ferrier for a beginner like me!

I have a 2CD Decca set issued a few years ago, called "Kathleen Ferrier A Tribute", still available for about £7.50 from a well-known site. These two CDs, taken with Decca's Das Lied/Walter CD, seem to me to represent a pretty good introduction to Ferrier's art.

Personally, I don't feel any need to go further, but anyone who did could get Decca's 14CD/DVD and EMI's 3CD set.

Funny to think that, if that old goat Walter Legge hadn't tried to grope Miss Ferrier in the back of a taxi ride that they shared, she would probably have remained an EMI artist!

I have a 2CD Decca set issued a few years ago, called "Kathleen Ferrier A Tribute", still available for about £7.50 from a well-known site. These two CDs, taken with Decca's Das Lied/Walter CD, seem to me to represent a pretty good introduction to Ferrier's art.

Personally, I don't feel any need to go further, but anyone who did could get Decca's 14CD/DVD and EMI's 3CD set.

Funny to think that, if that old goat Walter Legge hadn't tried to grope Miss Ferrier in the back of a taxi ride that they shared, she would probably have remained an EMI artist![/QUOTE]

That has occured to me - but would the recorded legacy have been better?
The test recording of Gerontius is wonderful but she probably was too inexperienced to to do the 1945 recording.

You might want to check out the Alban Berg playing the 6 Bartok quartets as well...

Already got it! Another treasured vinyl set. Mind you, their Ravel is the finest I've heard and is one of my all time favourite records. They can do no wrong to my ears.

Apropos Ferrier; there was a Kathleen Ferrier night on radio 3 years ago which I recorded off air. If anyone's interested, if you PM me I can arrange for you to access a copy.

Cheers,

Nic.

Decca have re-released Claudio Arrau's Complete Beethoven Sonatas. For around £35 its a bargain price for this (for me) defintive version. You can also pick up his Complete Chopin Nocturnes on Decca for an entire £5.75. Again, I think it is superb.

Decca have re-released Claudio Arrau's Complete Beethoven Sonatas. For around £35 its a bargain price for this (for me) defintive version. You can also pick up his Complete Chopin Nocturnes on Decca for an entire £5.75. Again, I think it is superb.

Martin,

Thanks for mentioning. I having that!

advertisement

Back