advertisement

The Children Poll

How many children do you have? Select a number and reason.

Votes: 41 32.0%

Votes: 16 12.5%

Votes: 44 34.4%

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • 4+

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • My/Partners decision

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • Decided for me (medical or circumstances)

Votes: 20 15.6%

• Total voters
I've not been priveleged to eat in such exotic places.. but my daughter has. Once when she was in Bangladesh working, she sent me a vid of the view from the car as she was being driven (very slowly) through Dhaka by her obligatory 'minder' and a Bangladeshi colleague. He was heard to clearly ask. "What's your preference for lunch Steph? MacDonald's.... or Pizza Hut?"

My brother was on holiday looking for a good little local restaurant for a bit of lunch; probably had sardines and a nice bottle of V Verde in mind.

The children saw a McDs and decided that's what they wanted.

Brother refused to eat anything and the rest of the family spent the next few days throwing up, and worse!

Once when she was in Bangladesh working, she sent me a vid of the view from the car as she was being driven (very slowly) through Dhaka by her obligatory 'minder' and a Bangladeshi colleague

Yes, I have worked in Dhaka/Sylhet/Chittagong on about 10 or so occasions. I was lucky that the mother of our agent made us a meat or veg Biryani for our lunch almost every day I was at work. So delicious it was, that I got my invited to their family home to see the dish cooked, and to steal the recipe. Still use the same recipe (with more meat) at home to this day.

The best food I had in Bangladesh was in Sylhet. Sylhet is the town where most Bandladeshi migrants to the UK come from and many return there as tourists, and want to do the western thing of eating out......

Pakistan was ok, the best food I had there was in Peshawar

The children saw a McDs and decided that's what they wanted.

Brother refused to eat anything and the rest of the family spent the next few days throwing up, and worse!

I spent about 12years flying to all sorts of places, sometimes I resorted to McDs, and never had a problem. I had in all my travels, one bout of illness that confined me to my room in that time, and that was down to eating lunch at a place in Chennai.

I once took a group of alumni to dinner in Mumbai, and gave them the choice of where they wanted to go. Without fail they wanted to go to Pizza Express, and that is where went. Pizza's were good, and to be honest after a month travelling round India, the odd pizza was a welcome change.

Pakistan was ok, the best food I had there was in Peshawar
Is a Peshawari nan a real thing then, in Peshawar? Or is it just an invention of British Asian restaurants who put together something tasty from what they could get in UK supermarkets, like the infamous Chicken Tikka Masala?

I remember watching some Chinese guys making food when I was a student, thought I'd pick up some tips along the lines of beef in black bean sauce, or chicken lemon and ginger, or something else tasty. No such luck. Boiled rice, with something dried and brown boiled up. No thanks. The Indian guys had far more idea, a leg of lamb with various spices, grilled and served up for a party along with piles of curried veg, rice, chapatis, now you're talking.

An interesting point was made to me years ago that Indians don't know how to cook meat as most of them are Hindus.
Although it was probably a Pakistani/Bangladeshi telling me that !

An interesting point was made to me years ago that Indians don't know how to cook meat as most of them are Hindus.
Although it was probably a Pakistani/Bangladeshi telling me that !

I think it's only beef that Hindus avoid, even that some more than others.

They're supposed to be more aware of suffering around food production.

No, it's true. A mate of mine who was raised as a Hindu tells me that meat and alcohol are "discouraged". As a result a lot of traditional cookery is vegetarian, and that's quite apart from the fact that a lot of people can't afford meat anyway. My pal likes both meat and alcohol, but there you are.

Edit - I think that it may also vary by caste. Maybe by area too.

We left it late so actually producing the one was fairly challenging. I always imagined having 2 kids. Delighted with the one 7 year old daughter, she's very good and hugely entertaining.

I have 2, daughters. Juliette 12, Eloise 16. Much better versions of me and my ex wife. Was a reluctant father tbh but know now it’s the best thing I’ll ever do.

No, it's true. A mate of mine who was raised as a Hindu tells me that meat and alcohol are "discouraged". As a result a lot of traditional cookery is vegetarian, and that's quite apart from the fact that a lot of people can't afford meat anyway. My pal likes both meat and alcohol, but there you are.

Edit - I think that it may also vary by caste. Maybe by area too.

I've just come back from a business trip to Chennai and the tradition for most Hindus in South India is exactly this, vegetarianism is prevalent in the older generations. The younger generations being more affluent and more educated than their parents and grandparents are much more likely to go "non veg" as they term it.

One guy invited me to his home where he is living with 2 older generations and his newly married wife. He said to me that if his dad knew he'd eaten meat , he would make him shower before being let in the house.

Another colleague told me that him being non veg meant that his rental options were much more limited as some landlords just won't rent to non veg'ers.

Generational and regional thing. Only beef specifically excluded - many I met both cooked and ate lamb, chicken, and fish.

My eldest will be 11 this week. We're having a Karaoke and mini-Glastonbury in the back garden.

Time has simply sped by since that stressful day in June 2008 - couped up in a windowless room in a sweltering hospital, a fire alarm, emergency c-section and then being handed this little thing and told to dress it by a pair of hardened Hackney nurses made me vow that I'd never put my unconscious wife or myself through that again.

Funny how difficult memories subside because the pure joy of our little girl meant we forgot about all the shit stuff and then number 2 turned up a couple of years later and he'll be 9 soon.

It's been amazing to see them grow from useless bundles of joy into strong willed, funny, amazing little people. We've still got many ups and downs to come, I'm sure, but I wouldn't change them for anything.

My brother (couple of years younger) and his missus don't want kids. Always going on bloody holiday, or on nights out, what a social life they lead! My Mum, despondently announced one day "they're having the bath taken out and are having a walk in shower fitted", finally accepting that they weren't interested in parenthood. Good on them and good luck to them, I say. I can perfectly understand their reasoning. I just hope that they don't regret it once it's too late, my Sister-In-Law is great with my kids and would make a great Mum, I'm sure.

The great thing about this thread is that both those who chose to have children, and those who chose not to, can claim the moral high ground.

I suspect our first contact with extra-terrestrial species will be like The Day The Earth Stood Still. Gort will probably have the equivalent of Roundup for humans ready to spray on the planet. A few of us selected as breeding pairs to reintroduce the species on some carefully controlled reservations with limited food supplies to discourage overpopulation. Maybe some kept in zoos as a back up, or just as a genetic library.

advertisement

Back