advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

First visit to this thread!

I had an annoying mark from a careless mechanic on the paintwork of my Yeti that has been there for years - today whilst hunting for something else under the kitchen sink I found some T-Cut. Much to my amazement, the annoying mark has completely disappeared. Amazeballs. This has been bothering me for yonks.

Then I used the silicone based furniture polish that I was hunting for in the first place on a bit of plastic bodywork, came up a beauty!

Also, last week I took the Yeti to an Arc car wash - before the wash I sprayed some Mercedes brand alloy wheel cleaner on the alloys - came up a treat.
(a bag of Mercedes cleaning stuff came with the Father-in-Laws last car - he doesn’t need it now - dementia has robbed him)

Didn’t think to take photos. Bum.
Please don't , NO photos of your Bum :eek:

Does anyone had advice for compounding faded paint on a van , It had graphics on from new , Under the graphics it like new between is faded and almost looks like a pastel finish ?

Random orbit polisher, compound pad, followed bu polishing pad, followed bu finish pad.
Don't try doing it by hand, unless to want arms like Arnie and have several days to spare.

Does anyone had advice for compounding faded paint on a van , It had graphics on from new , Under the graphics it like new between is faded and almost looks like a pastel finish ?
Opening bid, just try normal car polish. It might remove enough of the "dead" paint to make it acce.

I'm terrified that you actually mean this.

Everything I say is true apart from the stuff I make up…

That last bit isn’t true actually.

Of course The Wife frequently comments on the exquisite shape (and firmness) of my bum.
She knows she is on to a good thing.
(see Selfie photo thread)

IMG-5828.jpg
It’s a cheap trick, photographically speaking, but took advantage of the sun today to apply a winter protection coat of Collinite 476S.

I've just followed a recommended path to getting a deep shine and have some thoughts on it.

1. Jet wash water
2. Meguire's snow foam
3. Jet wash water
4. Meguire's shampoo with mit
5. Jet wash water
6. Drying towel
7. Compound liquid with machine and specific sponge head for compound for two hours
8. Rub off compound with micro fibre towel
9. Polishing liquid with machine and specific sponge head for polish for two hours
10. Rub off polish with a different micro fibre towel
11. Wax with machine and specific sponge head for wax for 40 minutes
12. Rub off wax with a third micro fibre towel

I thought the snow foam was an expensive waste of time. There was still loads of dirt on the car.
I thought the polishing made no improvement over the compound.

So, really, I'd have got the same result eliminating steps 2,3, 8 & 9.

Not quite 'detailing' as the car exterior is absolutely filthy (dusty as hell); I haven't driven the car since a few weeks before my op on 10th May and finally got out in it today!

So, an update...

Ordered all this trim over the last few weeks or so; a few bits brand new, the rest 2nd hand/used but immaculate. ALL OEM BMW, no copies/aftermarket etc

I'll fit the pedals when I'm feeling better and up for some footwell gymnastics as there's a bit of drilling to be done etc

Will update ASAP when I've fitted the pedals etc

The car will probably get detailed this weekend if I've the energy
Your car has an almost identical interior to my 2 series sport convertible.
The poem carbon must have cost about 2000 quid! How was fit?

I've just followed a recommended path to getting a deep shine and have some thoughts on it.

1. Jet wash water
2. Meguire's snow foam
3. Jet wash water
4. Meguire's shampoo with mit
5. Jet wash water
6. Drying towel
7. Compound liquid with machine and specific sponge head for compound for two hours
8. Rub off compound with micro fibre towel
9. Polishing liquid with machine and specific sponge head for polish for two hours
10. Rub off polish with a different micro fibre towel
11. Wax with machine and specific sponge head for wax for 40 minutes
12. Rub off wax with a third micro fibre towel

I thought the snow foam was an expensive waste of time. There was still loads of dirt on the car.
I thought the polishing made no improvement over the compound.

So, really, I'd have got the same result eliminating steps 2,3, 8 & 9.

No clay bar? For me ...

Rinse with garden hose water
Wash with Simoniz or similar shampoo with wash mitt, rinse, dry
Into garage, clay bar with Meguiars clay bar and detailing spray, then Turtle Wax hydrophobic spray wax
That's me done for next 6-8 mths for the car that's kept outside. OH's, kept in garage, gets regular wash, but doesn't need clay bar so often.

I tried snow foam before washing, and agree that it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is it legal to dump detergents in the street gutter?
It's definitely not environmentally friendly, unless you're using bio cleaners.
Don’t know in this case, but the poster has previously mentioned washing using Bilt Hamber products, which are biodegradable.

Is that what you mean by bio cleaners?

Don’t know in this case, but the poster has previously mentioned washing using Bilt Hamber products, which are biodegradable.

Is that what you mean by bio cleaners?
I think everything sold for consumer use is now biodegradable, it's had to be for some considerable time now. Non biodegradable detergents were one of the big drivers behind the Control of Pollution Act 1974, because rivers were turning into foam parties. You will have noticed that they aren't any more, even when the water authorities do their best to dump untreated water in the rivers every chance they get.

I think everything sold for consumer use is now biodegradable, it's had to be for some considerable time now. Non biodegradable detergents were one of the big drivers behind the Control of Pollution Act 1974, because rivers were turning into foam parties. You will have noticed that they aren't any more, even when the water authorities do their best to dump untreated water in the rivers every chance they get.

Things like Fairy washing up liquid are biodegrable?

advertisement

Back