advertisement

The best headphone amp in the world using TPA6120

peranders

More is more and better
I did one day discover the TPA6120 from Texas Instruments. I decided to let this IC have a go. The result can be seen below.

I have listened to the amp now and the result is that this may be the best headphone amp in the world. I don't think anybody can't say that this amp isn't in world class. The TPA6120 is an amp which can handle DC-100 MHz with ultra low distortion, 0.000021% under certain conditions.

If you download the datasheet you can see the extremely good data this IC has.

The TPA6120 has a "PowerPad" which mean that the chip is cooled through a metal peice which is looking out of the plastic. The metal lug is connectec to the lower groundplane via 18 small vias. The pcb has groundplanes on both sides for cooling reasons which work pretty good. The TPA6120 gets warm with loud music in the headphones. Someboby has asked me about the transformers so close but the amp is totally hum free..

qrv07r0_topview.jpg

Well done, pernaders. I've watched your progress with interest on diyaudio. I'd love to have a go at a proper implementation of the chip, but I don't think my hand is steady enough. I'll have to stick with my rough, bird's nest of wires version for now.

This is a very narrow project and too advanced for most DIY'ers but I have a couple of pcb's to spare.

Advanced is not the same thing as hard to build but most DIY'ers think so. This amp is soldered in 1-2 hours. I'm not kidding.

Originally posted by peranders
This is a very narrow project and too advanced for most DIY'ers but I have a couple of pcb's to spare.

Advanced is not the same thing as hard to build but most DIY'ers think so. This amp is soldered in 1-2 hours. I'm not kidding.

Yes I agree but I'm used to smd;)

Per you make me sick....

With envy, that is one fantastic piece of work, well done sir!

If there is a lengthy thread about it somewhere can I have a link, I'd like to read up on it, thanks

Brian

Thanks!

Frankly, only a few persons in the world have dared to try this extreme TPA6120 and I have seen only one pcb besides my own. So an amp made of this TPA6120 is ratehr unique I think. Nevertheless it was rather easy to design and also build. The design job was a couple of minutes and the rest was computer work.

One other good thing: TPA6120 costs only 1.9 USD! OK, 1000's price but still cheap.

Per-Anders,

I have become curious looking to your super fantastic SMD jobs and extra fine boards - are you working somewhere with facility to make the boards and with special SMD soldering aids??

You are not saying these all are hand work with just normal soldering tools, are you???

Very interesting jobs! :)

Oz

I have used two soldering irons, regular 60/40 tin, 0.7 mm and a good pair of tweezers...and I have cleaned the pcb with alcohol. All done by hand. Therefore I can say that this is easier than it looks.

Frankly, only a few persons in the world have dared to try this extreme TPA6120

I soldered individual wires onto the chips legs - must have been mad, it took hours. Very good sound, but I'm sure my made up circuit has a lot to be desired.

My problem is that I've not heard many headphone amplifiers and my build is very poor - just enough to get it working - so it needs re-building. However, it has a very detailed and listenable sound - I listened to cds all the way through rather than the usual skipping tracks. A bit bass light, but I'm sure that's my fault. The best sound I've had through headphones, I'll say that much. My idea was to try to integrate it into an amp, but I doubt I'll ever get the time.

Are you talking about detail and clarity, dynamics??

Or are you also talking about tunefullness?

Oz

I havent spent hours with it - I just know I spent a pleasant afternoon on the sofa listening to cds. The dynamic range is around 120db, so no problems there. I thought it was musical but that means different things to different people.

advertisement

Back