advertisement

The best drop-in mod to a NAP amp I've ever heard

hacker

Delicious and nutritious
DSCF2809.jpg

That little red Wima cap is a 22uF MKS2-XL and it's doing duty as the feedback cap. It replaces a 47u/6V milspec axial tant that I was previously perfectly happy with, however there really is no contest as to the better performer. There are so many improvements, but one of the most striking is the reproduction of what I can only call micro-detail: the phrasing of a plucked string, the audible difference of how a drummer is striking a snare or a cymbal. It's really quite amazing.

My main worry about this mod was that the lower registers of bass would be rolled off; calculations showed that it would be marginal, if audible at all. Fortunately, as far as I can tell there is no audible roll-off at all.

There are no downsides to this mod. It's a drop-in no-brainer. You guys getting in on the Wima group buy should do yourselves a favour and try this mod out.

Cheers,
Carl

I notice you've also removed the 10uf on the input , what effect did that have. Plus the inductor.

Carl, in 2 weeks you'll have this one out :D.

The only reservation I would have with film caps in this position, say as above in a nap140, is that they seem too add detail and openness at the expense of a bit of the naim 'grip' which to me is what makes naim, naim. But I don't suppose you actually have anything called naim boxes anymore!

But, shouldn't a 47uf MMK theoretically sound even better for this wima 22uf?

I have a pair from Aidan (thanks again) that I plan to put in my Naim boards - its used for the mid in the active setup so i dont care about bass roll off or thump, details and delicacy yes please!

Thanks for reminding me Carl!

I just managed to get my hands on 16 of these little beauties and will be trying them out hre and in the feedback position of my 321 cards.

If you are comparing to MMKs or other similar films I would be keen to hear your findings Neil. Since I realized the Oscons for me in my pre could be bettered, I am very open to new takes on the "classic" mods.

/Magnus

I notice you've also removed the 10uf on the input , what effect did that have. Plus the inductor.

Removing the 10u (a Wima MKS2-XL) made a huge difference. The original setup was AD815 pre with no coupling caps at all, and no DC nulling circuit (the only input I have is a SB3 and that has output coupling caps, and the monoblocks had input coupling caps). Recently I swapped the monoblock input caps for wire links, and put 2.5uF Solen polypropylene output coupling caps in my preamp. That was itself a very pleasing improvement. I like having only 2 signal caps (the SB3 output cap and the preamp output cap) per channel in the signal path... my old Naim rig had 6 per channel (SB3, 2 per 729, 2 per 321, 1 on the power amp) - yuk.

I assume the same mod would work on a NCC200 board?

I don't see any reason why not :)

Carl, in 2 weeks you'll have this one out :D.

The only way this is leaving is if I happen upon some 22uF polypropylenes for a reasonable cost!

The Captain said:
The only reservation I would have with film caps in this position, say as above in a nap140, is that they seem too add detail and openness at the expense of a bit of the naim 'grip' which to me is what makes naim, naim. But I don't suppose you actually have anything called naim boxes anymore!

Wow, that's not my experience at all. In fact one of the things I like about this is the resolution of complex bass passages. Previously with the axial tants the sound was lovely, but could tend towards a slight wooliness in fast-moving bass licks. Now that problem has been greatly reduced and my subjective opinion is that the amps have really taken the music by the scruff of the neck!

The Captain said:
But, shouldn't a 47uf MMK theoretically sound even better for this wima 22uf?

I'm not sure about this one. They're both polyester film caps, but there's no reason why more capacitance should sound better than less. As long as the time constant isn't affected to the point where bass rolls off, I'd have though less capacitance was more desirable? I also like that it drops in and doesn't need flying leads.

I have a pair from Aidan (thanks again) that I plan to put in my Naim boards - its used for the mid in the active setup so i dont care about bass roll off or thump, details and delicacy yes please!

Thanks for reminding me Carl!

Do it do it do it! Let us know what you think...

You'd probably hear an improvement if you got rid of those nasty crimped connections and soldered that screened cable straight into the board.

Si.

You'd probably hear an improvement if you got rid of those nasty crimped connections and soldered that screened cable straight into the board.

Si.

For sure. The crimps are soldered, but that's hardly a substitute. At the moment I'm pulling boards on a fairly regular basis until I've finished tinkering and building the monoblocks. Once I'm happy with the build I'll be swapping the crimps for soldered connections.

Cheers,
Carl

Would that be the same Solen with a few air-miles under its tinsel leads? LOL!

James

Actually no - I used the Solens that I didn't end up using because I bought the Mundorfs... although the well-travelled Solens will be doing duty on the output of a Monica DAC pretty soon ;)

Of course. Just think how much better your preamp would sound with a Mundorf instead of the Solen. :D

James

Did this mod today on my NAP 140. Big difference and well pleased with the results. As Hacker says following instruments through complex passages is far easier.

Colin

advertisement

Back