advertisement

The beauty of self delusion….

Absolutely Del, the acid test is the communication of the intent of the music, the emotional impact. I’ve had kit which tells you what’s being played but makes it an almost academic exercise. The kit I now have is perfect for me and hasn’t changed for years, it allows the music to flow and gives immense pleasure - what more do you want?

Absolutely Del, the acid test is the communication of the intent of the music, the emotional impact. I’ve had kit which tells you what’s being played but makes it an almost academic exercise. The kit I now have is perfect for me and hasn’t changed for years, it allows the music to flow and gives immense pleasure - what more do you want?
Couldn’t agree more. Be free of the neuroses( that is admittedly easy to fall into) and nothing else matters. Just listening to Job with Vernon Handley on vinyl.Like hearing afresh.

I have an array of modestly priced interconnects. I have tried some very expensive ones at times but didn’t keep them. Just didn’t really add anything and certainly not enough to stump up hundreds of pounds more. I do believe in synergy, or perhaps balance is a better word.
We often drink a very nice Malbec that is frequently discounted. It’s pleasant and very drinkable and goes well with cheese etc.Wine is a useful analogy. I have tried much more expensive wines(wealthy friends), a Petrus and Chateux Margaux being the most well regarded. You know, I expected more. The Margaux was a little more memorable than the Petrus but not a lingering memory. I much preferred a Lynch Barges and Ribera that I revisit often. Sometimes the real riches are in the most unexpected areas. With the more ‘prestigious’ wines, I was just never sure or convinced that they were really that great.
I know it’s not the same for others, but for me it has been a real revelation over the past few years.
Though my FILs system has many positives, it lacks one fundamental element and that is communication.
You should try Burgundies then. I’ve never liked Bordeaux. They are vastly overrated and overpriced.
Same goes with hi-fi I guess.

Try wearing an ear plug in one of your ears as I did, quite against my will. It´s known as a vestibular Schwannoma, a benign tumour in your inner ear which presses against your audio nerve as it enters your brain and virtually converts you into a one-eared wonder. So having a ginormous roll top bureau thingy between my speakers is no longer a source of despair (sorry). Believe it or not, by facing at 90 degrees to my speakers I can detect stereo with just one ear ! However your subconscious tends to lose interest in the point source of instruments and singers and concentrate on their tone and decay, hearing little things that used to pass you by when you had 2 lugs on the job. I used to think Walter Becker was a lazy sod, but I now know he never stops twiddling about, up and down, all the time. Yes indeed, the human brain is something else.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back