advertisement

"The Beatles" Real Love, Free As A Bird

Mike Sae

Infinitely Baffled
The internet was in its infancy when The Beatles Anthology came out so we never did get to discuss the new Beatle songs forum-style.

Do you think John Lennon would have liked them?
What's the general consensus of these two songs?

-Ghost of John Lennon rises for one last kick at the can with his old mates.

-The sound Paul, George and Ringo raping John's corpse.

IMHO, they sound like Beatle songs; Free as a Bird sums up what the Beatles were all about in terms of composition and Real Love is more or less spot on with the feel of Lennon's late solo work.

Paul's noodling conspicuous in its absence, George's guitar cries out like it always did and blue collar drumming from Ringo as befits a Beatle tune.

Please, no "Beatles were crap" comments for the time being, TIA.

To me they are top notch John Lennon songs that really shows how good he was at it. And in a time when a dead Nat King Cole does a duett with his daughter...

As a HiFi'ist I may have some reservations about using crap cassette tape recordings as a base. But you can't have everything.

JohanR

Very minor songs that would never have seen the light of day if Lennon was still alive, I suspect.

-- Ian

I didn't like them when released/don't really rate them now, but bought the CDs eventually anyway as they sort of are official Beatles' stuff. On the other hand I quite like the Lisa Marie 'duet' with Elvis Presley of 'Don't cry Daddy'.

I'd have to say that the first time I played "Free As A Bird" over my system at home, it brought tears to my eyes. One of Lennon's greats, with massive added poignancy from GH on lead guitar.

G

Yup, I quite like them. I guess we're sentimental old fools :)

I remember I discovered the internet about the same time those songs were released.

advertisement

Back