advertisement

The BBC and Stoke on Trent

HairyHaggis

<((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.
I see the BBC are in Stoke this week. The heart of string vest land, twinned with Boston, Lincolnshire . Coincidence? I've also seen how often they manage to find a hard leaver when they've gone looking for people (random member of the public) to comment on the goings on in parliament. Just gerronwivit.

There we are, 'bring on brexit' .. Biased? BBC? Surely not...

I see the BBC are in Stoke this week. The heart of string vest land, twinned with Boston, Lincolnshire . Coincidence? I've also seen how often they manage to find a hard leaver when they've gone looking for people (random member of the public) to comment on the goings on in parliament. Just gerronwivit.

There we are, 'bring on brexit' .. Biased? BBC? Surely not...
Yes odd they should choose a 70/30 brexit town rather than a 50/50 one....

Getting severely pissed off with BBC News. I want news from a news program, not he sort of 'human interest' crap they're peddling nowadays.

Then you should have lobbied your MP to implement the Leveson findings. Taking away their ability to lie, dig and destroy people's lives in the names of 'public interest' stories would have part way meant they might actually have to report the news. Instead we now have media organisations happy to do whatever it takes to keep a certain section of the public interested and nothing interests that section of the public more than something they can froth at the mouth about.... hell the BBC even tried to implicate Cliff Richard to get people to watch and read their 'news'!

It might also be a test to see if that 70/30 ratio has changed and whether those who voted to leave have had a change of heart?

Cheers,

DV

Vox pops in any town or any area are of little interest. Those most interested in publically pontificating usually seem to be among the least well informed. I don't know if that's a broadcaster strategy for entertainment, or whether the cameras are a magnet for idiots.

I've tuned in and out, but I believe that alongside the general concentration on Stoke, today's PM programme has had vox pops reports from 3 different parts of the country (Swindon, Stoke and Broxtowe). All of which were majority leave-voting areas.

All entirely fair and balanced, of course.

I really cannot imagine how we have such animosity in this country when the city I was born in is described as the heart of string vest land.

So helpful.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck

.. The epithet of string vest is a long long way from the abuse and threats that many of our mps are getting. That doesn't affect me directly but the damage that brexshit has done, is doing and will continue to do does.

String vest ain't so bad really

Last edited:
I've tuned in and out, but I believe that alongside the general concentration on Stoke, today's PM programme has had vox pops reports from 3 different parts of the country (Swindon, Stoke and Broxtowe). All of which were majority leave-voting areas.

All entirely fair and balanced, of course.

And now they're speaking to people in Walsall (North), which I believe was one of the most emphatically leave-voting areas in the country. Lovely.

Vox pops in any town or any area are of little interest. Those most interested in publically pontificating usually seem to be among the least well informed. I don't know if that's a broadcaster strategy for entertainment, or whether the cameras are a magnet for idiots.

sadly I think it’s both.

I think you are frothing over nothing, BBC is often accused of being London centric, London is a heavy remain area so they are just trying to report the other side of things. I think the Beeb is pro remain at heart. The Stoke vox pops were horrible though, you could almost smell the BO through the radio;)

My only contact with this was reading an article on the BBC website about how bad the buses are in Stoke. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-49816714
With the greatest of respect to Stoke folk (Potters?), buses have never been a service since deregulation many years ago and they're bad in many places. If you want them to get better, you'd probably need to "take back control" and decidedly NOT in the Brexit meaning of that phrase. :rolleyes:

They also seem to focus on retired people who mostly seem to be leavers. My dad voted leave but then he is retired, doesn’t need any money so can afford to not worry about the impact of leaving without a deal. I don’t think he gave much thought to his grandchildren when making his decision.

They also seem to focus on retired people who mostly seem to be leavers. My dad voted leave but then he is retired, doesn’t need any money so can afford to not worry about the impact of leaving without a deal. I don’t think he gave much thought to his grandchildren when making his decision.
They were in a shopping centre during the day, kind of restricts the audience

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck

.. The epithet of string vest is a long long way from the abuse and threats that many of our mps are getting. That doesn't affect me directly but the damage that brexshit has done, is doing and will continue to do does.

String vest ain't so bad really
Leave voters in Stoke will be a minority of the population, so to describe the whole population in such terms is more than a bit vestist

advertisement

Back