advertisement

The antidote - music

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
Things were getting a bit 'hasty' as an Ent would say so I exiled the Mrs to bed and put on a slab of vinyl.

It was Phil Collins 'Face Value', without prejudice have a listen to the entire record. (BTW what a superb recording, mine is an A2/B1 R/S Alsdorf 99143 townhouse pressing)

I've just forgot about the world for 40 mins.

I say to those who post in Audio, do you ever totally zone out and 'listen' to an album without a care in the world?

I know why I on pfm, it because I love music with a passion!

Excellent album and always worth a revisit.
It tends to get written off by some as just a test album because of that drum break on track 1, but that's probably the least strong part of the album IMO.

And now SXL2305.....I'm expecting tears soon as this music moves me in a way not matched.

On Grado RS2s as it's late, they're good!

I'm listening to the dulcet tones of Gary Numan, "M.E." from The Pleasure Principle #8 )

not bringing tears to eyes, but fun nonetheless. real drums, surely, and a little swing amidst the electronica.

Basement Jaxx successfully ripped it off for 'Where's your head at', clever buggers, though they doubled the tempo.

I say to those who post in Audio, do you ever totally zone out and 'listen' to an album without a care in the world?

Yes. But I would posit that the more you are into the audio/hifi game, the less you are able to do this. Certainly was the case for me - I seemed to have been able to easily get lost in the music before I got into this hifi crap (and with a simpler more humble system). Thankfully I am largely cured!

These days I just focus on listening to my music and not to bother too much with my gear.

I know why I on pfm, it because I love music with a passion!

1/ Yes, absolutely I do and, as you describe, I like to listen to whole albums from begging to end.

2/ Your second point is interesting though because it is one I have been musing over only recently. To be honest, I don't find the discussion of artists (musical or otherwise) very interesting - I'm not interested in sharing my opinion of their work or learning the opinions of others - it's one area where one is entitled to either like it or not. For me, the only parts of Internet hi-fi forums that interest me are the audio equipment sections and the DIY sections. If I wasn't interested in learning about how the equipment works, designing and building it, there would be nothing about pfm (or any of the other similar forums) of interest to me.

Things were getting a bit 'hasty' as an Ent would say so I exiled the Mrs to bed and put on a slab of vinyl.

It was Phil Collins 'Face Value', without prejudice have a listen to the entire record. (BTW what a superb recording, mine is an A2/B1 R/S Alsdorf 99143 townhouse pressing)

I've just forgot about the world for 40 mins.

Yeah, but not to Phil bloody Collins. He is the antidote to music.

Yeah, but not to Phil bloody Collins. He is the antidote to music.
he's a hell of an entertainer, and he certainly made a shitload of money out of it all.

still, I've read of Bowie describing his post scary monsters output, before Black Tie, White Noise, as "his Phil Collins Albums". :D

Well, I'm afraid I would entirely agree with Mr Bowie's critique.

Being a successful entertainer has nothing to do with my perception of P Collins musical output and no matter how successful he becomes my view won't alter - only the music he produces can do that.

Anyway, your points rather neatly summarise why I rarely even read the 'music' section of the forum so I will leave it there.

I always I liked a (fish era) marillion line which was "promoting the heartache to renew the licence"

Songs about divorce and love unrequited tallied nicely with Phil Collins best known work always being at the time of a divorce. Its too easy to forget some of his brand x and big band contributions, his work with Eno. It was a cruel day that he could no longer play the drums but singing back catalogue songs about love lost to a jacuzzi installer is just giving the atheists smug ammunition.

Yes. But I would posit that the more you are into the audio/hifi game, the less you are able to do this. Certainly was the case for me - I seemed to have been able to easily get lost in the music before I got into this hifi crap (and with a simpler more humble system). Thankfully I am largely cured!

These days I just focus on listening to my music and not to bother too much with my gear.

I think I'm very nearly there - doing back to back auditions between two sets of speakers and various cables, I kept getting lost in the music and forgetting what I was supposed to be doing. Knew I had the right combination when the speakers simply 'disappeared'. (Ideally, pfm membership should be a short term thing, unless you're a dealer :D )
Curiously, had minor surgery years ago, the after effects of which were extremely painful. So-called painkillers were useless and it was driving me nuts until I grabbed some headphones and played my (then) current musical obsession. Giving the brain something else to focus on somehow provided the required analgesic and those recordings kept me sane for days. And of course the soft spot for Mitsuko Uchida has stayed with me ever since.

advertisement

Back