advertisement

The all purpose Thelonious Monk thread...

While I'm waiting for the DVD to arrive from Presto I'm listening to Andy Summers' Monk tribute album, which I got second-hand last week from Music Magpie for a few quid. It's a very pleasant listen if not earth-shattering, and the respect and love shine through. Even the obligatory St*ng guest appearance isn't off-putting.

Thanks for reminding me about this Kevin; I'd seen it before but I don't do downloads. I'll definitely be buying the 6 CD set.

My copy arrived today - with an unexpected £15 customs bill on delivery.

I’m on the second disc but very impressed with the music and recording. The very detailed “liner notes” are online here and make an interesting read even apart from the record with a host of interesting references and allusions to other musicians and records that’s going to send me rummaging through my collection and Quboz for weeks to come.

http://www.milesokazaki.com/albums/work-2018/

Kevin

While I'm waiting for the DVD to arrive from Presto I'm listening to Andy Summers' Monk tribute album, which I got second-hand last week from Music Magpie for a few quid. It's a very pleasant listen if not earth-shattering, and the respect and love shine through. Even the obligatory St*ng guest appearance isn't off-putting.

He did a Mingus tribute as well which is of a similar quality.

He did a Mingus tribute as well which is of a similar quality.
Thanks, I didn’t know about that one either. I’ve now bought it on eBay from a seller in Poland for 29 Zloty (three-quarters of that was postage.)

We need an all-purpose Mingus thread too. As I grow older the more I realize his music is the greatest AFAIC. I can’t think of anyone else I would love to have met but at the same time know I would have chickened out if I had ever had the chance.

advertisement

Back