advertisement

The A400 GTE gives up its secrets!

Glad to see that the Quad 303 is being recognised. It is a great amplifier, and the best bargain in hi fi, but make sure the capacitors have been changed and the thing serviced. Not personally convinced by the 33 preamp. I'd use a passive with the 303.Still, the combo of 33/303 in wooden case still makes me smile. Lovely bit of design.
As for the pioneer...not fit to be mentioned in the same conversation (oops sorry!)

So did you?:D

yep indeed i did - plenty of dust in there as per your pics.

Some pics taken - not sure how to add them here tho - other boards have an upload option but can only see an option to put a link?

Used contact cleaner on the noisy volume pot as well - seems to have done the trick - for now at least.

yep indeed i did - plenty of dust in there as per your pics.

Some pics taken - not sure how to add them here tho - other boards have an upload option but can only see an option to put a link?

Used contact cleaner on the noisy volume pot as well - seems to have done the trick - for now at least.

Excellent! Open up a photobucket account and then that gives you a image link to paste into the post.

ok here we go. Amended to show pics as per 'how to' from mmterror - learned something new - again :D

P1000342copy.jpg

P1000340copy.jpg

P1000341copy.jpg

P1000350copy.jpg

If more needed just let me know

Cool, in future when you've uploaded your pics if you move your cursor over the pic it will give a list of links. Just select the bottom one and that will then put the pic up when you copy the link into the post.

IMG code is the one you want.

Guess if i'm going to use this for a while longer might as well clean it up and get it working as best I can.

I have some isopropanol (think thats what its called - its downstairs and it's too late to go making noise!) so will that do for the various connectors do you think?

I know cotton buds are supposed to be fine, but when i've tried before they don't fit inside the rca sockets - anyone have any tips? Don't have any pipe cleaners - tho suppose I could try to find somewhere that sold them.

Well all I did was use my Giotto rocket lens blower to clean out the loose dust then turned the amp on its side and doused the circuit board and switches in switch cleaner (isopropanol or similar). I turned the switches back and forth as I sprayed them paying attention to any movable part.

Nothing technical really. I could have done with a soft brush to gently 'massage' the switch cleaner on the board as there is still a fine layer of surface dust (I think circuit boards always have a level of tackiness to dust) left but as you see in the pics 90% of its gone.

I didn't use switch cleaner on the transformer. Just air.

Left it for a few hours to dry out and drain and then powered up to test.

thanks mmterror. any thoughts on the inside of the phono sockets?

i did think about spraying some contact cleaner in there and then plugging/unplugging a cable a few times.

Odd way to mount power transistors, though it might just be a funny pic.

What was wrong with the standard A400?
Did it distort, hiss, hum or have a wobbly response?

top pic is from top looking down 'into' amp.

2nd is looking from bottom up 'through' the amp.

not sure what the changes achieved but do remember wanting to get the mod but not being able to afford it - having loans to pay off at the time :(

advertisement

Back