advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

MotoGP works, and not just because it's motorbikes and it's easier for them to overtake. The races are shorter, so it's effectively a sprint to the finish. F1 needs to move significantly in that direction. I'm not at all convinced that the heavy use of aero is helping the sport (to start with it arguably means they're not even cars in the real sense of the word). I really don't want to be watching racing that effectively boils down to who has the best aero and which drivers are the most like fighter pilots, it's not the kind of skill I want applauded in a driver.

As I said, I'd be much happier watching a shorter race run at lower speeds (because of lack of aero) where the vehicles are all about mechanical grip, where the drivers skill is more about race craft and balancing grip on the edge of adhesion.
Have you watched a Moto GP race lately, the races are dull as ditchwater, all the bikes have advanced aero/ground effects now and shapeshifter ride high adjusters, riders can't follow or overtake each other because of loosing front downforce and overheating brakes. The are in effect two wheel F1 cars. The rides have to ride them very differently compared to the older bikes.
I enjoy the F1, i like all the technology and Ian's input, although the cars are a bit big and heavy.
I agree, no aero makes for more fun and exciting racing, you've only got to go to classic race series to see that.

e8e62f23-57e2-fa31-5fc8-7df4059c05b4_1662486118-e1663172879228.jpg

2023-MotoGP-Aprilia-RS-GP-Studio-RHR-1024x755.jpg

2023-MotoGP-Aprilia-RS-GP-Studio-RHF2-1024x799.jpg

2023-MotoGP-Aprilia-RS-GP-LHFF-753x1024.jpg

Moto GP grids have become very small with most riders on Ducatis, the Japanese manufacturers are nowhere or have left already. I can't see it continuing this way.

It all cyclic, the Japanese domination has ended and the European manufacturers have taken over. I think the problem is the Japanese manufacturers lack the vision they once had and don't really build interesting bikes anymore, at least a bike i'd want to buy.
Could be a good season though if Marquez & Acosta gets up to speed , they were there or thereabouts on Sunday.

It all cyclic, the Japanese domination has ended and the European manufacturers have taken over. I think the problem is the Japanese manufacturers lack the vision they once had and don't really build interesting bikes anymore, at least a bike i'd want to buy.
Could be a good season though if Marquez & Acosta gets up to speed , they were there or thereabouts on Sunday.
I think the Japanese manufacturers haver been caught on the hop by the aforementioned arrival of aero on MotoGP bikes, and they have a serious amount of catching up to do, if they wish to be competitive again. Suzuki has gone, and Yamaha may follow. I'm hoping that Honda can get it together again.

Have you watched a Moto GP race lately, the races are dull as ditchwater, all the bikes have advanced aero/ground effects now and shapeshifter ride high adjusters, riders can't follow or overtake each other because of loosing front downforce and overheating brakes. The are in effect two wheel F1 cars. The rides have to ride them very differently compared to the older bikes.
I enjoy the F1, i like all the technology and Ian's input, although the cars are a bit big and heavy.
I agree, no aero makes for more fun and exciting racing, you've only got to go to classic race series to see that.

e8e62f23-57e2-fa31-5fc8-7df4059c05b4_1662486118-e1663172879228.jpg

2023-MotoGP-Aprilia-RS-GP-Studio-RHR-1024x755.jpg

2023-MotoGP-Aprilia-RS-GP-Studio-RHF2-1024x799.jpg

2023-MotoGP-Aprilia-RS-GP-LHFF-753x1024.jpg
Fair point, it's been a while I admit. I kinda lost interest when Marquez started to dominate. Never liked him. Plus it became more difficult to watch the races on TV. I've always been a Rossi fan (at least in the more modern era - before that it was Doohan).

60 years since Honda’s first F1 race.
I couldn’t find a decent video of the RA271, so here’s the RA272.
And this to me is how a race engine should sound. Beautiful mechanical music.

Just wow. To my mind the greatest era of GP racing, apart from the appalling death toll. So many different configurations and sounds, easily identifiable cars too. Le Mans prototypes were faster but these little cigars were cutting edge, the factories and garagistes could do pretty much what they wanted and pushed the envelope for all it was worth.

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW RESULT

Enjoyed that and not just because Max dropped out. I do tend to think Max might have had a challenge on his hands from Ferrari anyway but we will never know if Verstappen’s car was compromised from the get go. Sainz drove flawlessly and had the measure of his teammate throughout. I wonder if Ferrari are starting to wonder if they’ve made a wrong decision.

Mercedes are looking pretty ropey by their standards and even the engine, once a bulletproof part of their arsenal, is now letting go. Hamilton, it would seem, on this evidence, has made the right decision re. next year.

Alonso has been given a 20 second penalty for unnecessary braking that partly caused Russell’s crash. I know he is one of the most capable on the grid, but I’ve never taken to him as these sort of things seem to happen with him… there is a slightly dark side to his driving on occasion and I still refuse to believe he had no knowledge of Crashgate in 2008… are we really expected to believe he never even questioned his fuel load which, given his obvious intelligence, he would definitely have done had he no knowledge of the plan that day. Anyway….

Perez was somewhat anonymous today, I guess that is what the Red Bull would be like with very good drivers as opposed to a great one. Makes you realise how important the whole package is.. driver/car/team… all have to gel perfectly and be more than the sum of their parts to truly dominate.

All those clean-sweep predictions ha ha ha

Just woke up for a wee. Back to bed.
Well, it did take a mechanical failure to do it and one that appears to have been present from the start. Not even Red Bull can make something that works all the time. The interesting thing for my was Perez's performance in what would have been the same car. As @tiggers above says, it's the driver/car/team combination that delivers, and in Verstappen they have the (nearly) perfect package.

Well, it did take a mechanical failure to do it and one that appears to have been present from the start. Not even Red Bull can make something that works all the time. The interesting thing for my was Perez's performance in what would have been the same car. As @tiggers above says, it's the driver/car/team combination that delivers, and in Verstappen they have the (nearly) perfect package.

My point, not made at all, was that with so many races, the potential for a minor error at just one step in one of the many thousands of steps, to cause a DNF, would override any predictions of a clean sweep.

The grid has closed up to RBR considerably. Whilst the first 2 races did have RBR dominating, the teams further back were closer at the end of the race, with fewer cars lapped. In parallel, the RBR DRS advantage has reduced a bit.

So when RBR make mistakes with set up or cooling etc then we can expect close racing at the front, possibly a 3 way team fight with McLaren as well.

At the back Alpine look to have completely lost their way and are in the battle with Sauber to not be last. Having said that Alpine have made big internal changes so there is an opportunity for them to improve during the season. Whereas Sauber are continuing with the same people in the same roles, so it is not looking good for them.

Williams are not looking good either, albeit a little better than the last two.

Well the RBR team did a bad job not repairing Max's car befor the start, because on his outlap going to his starting position Max already re-entered the pits because he felt something was wrong. They did look at right rear, but not good enough.

advertisement

Back