advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fed up with New Zealand winning all the rugby matches and think the shape of a rugby ball should be changed.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f...with-directive-under-safety-grounds/10323157/

RB are gonna lose their s**t

article-0-18BAC49E00000578-738_634x382.jpg

It seems actually a sensible and non partisan approach by the FIA from the initial reading. It aims to reduce the potential for damage to the driver so if your car does not porpoise and hence cause the driver pain/potential injury then you will not be affected. It is more likely to hinder cars that are suffering the worst like Merc, Alpha Tauri and a few others.

Remains to be seen what the racing impact will be but they have judged it well I think.

In theory the teams and drivers should have been able to manage this themselves, but Merc and Lewis showed that either they did not have enough information to make the call (accurate measurements from practice sessions, accurate enough predictions for the race etc) to increase the ride heights or wanted to push the boundaries.

As I mentioned before, it needs a much better measure than the pretty meaningless 6g statement (for how long (integration over time is very important), how is it measured, is 6g for 0.2 secs worse than 10g for 0,1 sec, etc) and as I said, there is a lot of research out there already in this area. So it is good to see that the FIA will gather more data and presumably continue to look at the research before issuing the required measures etc for the teams with what the teams needs to do if contravening any new safety rules.

I get the impression that the cars with the biggest issues will be impacted but those without will not. Potentially this will help RB.

Last edited:
Not sure if if I've got this right but didn't some teams spend their budget on developing this years car rather than last years? The onboard race coverage clearly shows whos head is bouncing up and down and whose isn't. Speaking of which - the ignore button is your friend when it comes to certain new contributors (reminds me of that Stallion idiot from the old Naim Forum)

Although I suppose the big question is how this would be implemented.

Is it even possible to do something like "You must not run a car where porposing occurs in excess of Xg or at a frequency of xHz"? i.e. so that Red Bull can just run their car as is but those who are currently putting their drivers health at risk have to raise the height. I guess they the data but quite how you write those rules

Just forcing everyone to raise their ride height seems massively unfair on Red Bull.

I think I’ll come up with a carbon fibre seat with little shock absorbers and dampers mounting it to the cockpit floor. Might only need 10mm travel, and we might see the driver’s head every now and then!

So Lewis and George have eliminated Mercedes by complaining openly about their car's design problems.

You have missed the point that most of the drivers have complained. If it was just Merc, the FIA would not have acted unilaterally, the fact is all cars have been impacted, some worse than others. There "might" be a little hoist by own petard at play but I suspect there was more information sharing to the FIA to try and ensure the drivers safety, saving the drivers from themselves and their teams if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back