advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope things settle down a bit, can't say the look or sound of these dodgems is doing much for me, I'm sure they will learn much and we will see something better than constant tyre management angst. As for those wheels......yuk.
It has been said many times here, by those in the know: tyres always have to be managed.

Looks like it could be a great season based on that race, much more so if the Mercs can step up a little.

Good Afternoon All,

I have no love for Mr.Horner but having both cars fail to finish isn't something to cheer surely??

Regards

Richard

Well said. Well done to Ferrari, fast and reliable... you can't ask for more. Red Bull are there or thereabouts pace wise though and they will not have DNFs every race. We need a couple of teams dinking it out at the front so unless Merc can find some pace I'm all for Ferrari and Red Bull being competitive.

It has been said many times here, by those in the know: tyres always have to be managed.

Nice if they last a couple of laps though eh? This has got much worse in recent years and it does move against the idea of pushing the limits of what is possible more toward what is (sometimes laughably) allowable. You may enjoy that. I find it more contrived than ever, but we'll see.

I honestly think that some watch different races to me.
Verstappen pushed too hard on new tyres, and locked up too. All his fault.

Well said. Well done to Ferrari, fast and reliable... you can't ask for more. Red Bull are there or thereabouts pace wise though and they will not have DNFs every race. We need a couple of teams dinking it out at the front so unless Merc can find some pace I'm all for Ferrari and Red Bull being competitive.
Looks like the RBR fuel system may have been cavitating and so just could not get fuel into the engine.

What happens during the race is that fuel not injected to the cylinders is returned to the tank, gradually adding energy to the fuel in the tank, and this becomes a greater proportion as the race approaches the end, the electrical system and the engine have a large amount of heat to dissipate, some of which gets to the fuel tank, this is a new fuel and so will work differently.

So quite a few things for each team to need to sort out and it may have been different enough for the RBR powerplant and integration teams that they did not get it all sorted.

I honestly think that some watch different races to me.
Verstappen pushed too hard on new tyres, and locked up too. All his fault.

Who said anything about Max, three changes of tyre with none of them lasting that long wasn't exclusive to him. It doesn't add to my enjoyment, I want to see more racing and less 'management', you are perfectly entitled to find all that more interesting. I appreciate all the technical limitation has been the direction of travel for several years.

Who said anything about Max, three changes of tyre with none of them lasting that long wasn't exclusive to him. It doesn't add to my enjoyment, I want to see more racing and less 'management', you are perfectly entitled to find all that more interesting. I appreciate all the technical limitation has been the direction of travel for several years.
Well, by definition, a ‘formula’ is a limitation.

I’m surprised so many people who don’t like F1 at all still watch it and post on forums about how much they dislike it!

Well, by definition, a ‘formula’ is a limitation.

I’m surprised so many people who don’t like F1 at all still watch it and post on forums about how much they dislike it!

It's not something I dislike and it's not like there is an alternative. Do you project every disagreement with your take to such extremes?

When you say glib stuff like "it's always been about tyre management" is there a level of it that you would ever consider excessive?

It's not something I dislike and it's not like there is an alternative. Do you project every disagreement with your take to such extremes?

When you say glib stuff like "it's always been about tyre management" is there a level of it that you would ever consider excessive?
There have been times where tyre management has seemed too dominant, for example 1,000 horsepower cars just cruising round, drivers frightened of pushing at all. I just don’t think that was the case today. Many drivers were fighting for positions, and the cars looked fast through the faster corners. Just awful in slower corners.
Apologies if I came across in a certain way, but over the years there have been many posts by people wearing rose tinted glasses, so I tend to snap immediately.

What an embarrassment you must be to live near.

Lmao, my neighbours cheered also. In fact, I think the whole street did but Ive told them that Grumpy Bollocks Bob on the internet thinks less of them, they weeped as did I for the loss of such esteemed approval..but we got over it 1/10th of a second later so no big loss!

Reactions: bob
Looks like the RBR fuel system may have been cavitating and so just could not get fuel into the engine.

What happens during the race is that fuel not injected to the cylinders is returned to the tank, gradually adding energy to the fuel in the tank, and this becomes a greater proportion as the race approaches the end, the electrical system and the engine have a large amount of heat to dissipate, some of which gets to the fuel tank, this is a new fuel and so will work differently.

So quite a few things for each team to need to sort out and it may have been different enough for the RBR powerplant and integration teams that they did not get it all sorted.

As always, thanks for your input IanW

I suppose the extremely tight packaging of the power unit is what has caused the issue?
The turbo cars in the mid-80s were, in the end, just incredible heat pumps, struggling to dissipate all that unwanted energy. I wonder if some drag-inducing vents will be introduced before next weekend as a short term fix?

There have been times where tyre management has seemed too dominant, for example 1,000 horsepower cars just cruising round, drivers frightened of pushing at all. I just don’t think that was the case today. Many drivers were fighting for positions, and the cars looked fast through the faster corners. Just awful in slower corners.
Apologies if I came across in a certain way, but over the years there have been many posts by people wearing rose tinted glasses, so I tend to snap immediately.

Fair enough. I don't think specs have to be too rose tinted to remember great driving rivalries that were not so troubled worrying about a bit of tyre wear. I am totally onboard with many innovations, particularly those aimed at safety. I'm less enamoured with drivers being put off racing in order to preserve rubber or energy, but that's just my view.

We could always have a new motorsport where cars are designed to use minimal energy and consumables over a set number of laps, or time and the winner is that one that's still going when everyone else has stopped. Not sure we'd get many punters though. :)

I should point out that I was so p....d off with what happened in last seasons final race I haven’t viewed any F1 content anywhere since and hadn’t even checked out this thread till after today’s race.

Today has somewhat restored my faith and great to see Ferrari getting a one two. I may have missed this in the commentary but how did the lap times of this seasons cars compare with last seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back