advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

Modern F1 cars look a real visual mess to me..

I'll try to watch again today but I just don't get it anymore

I think they currently look much better than the narrow cars with grooved tyres we had previously. The engines were lovely then but the aesthetic of the cars was much worse. I do agree the fussy aero add ons are not great but the overall cars look fairly well balanced visuall.

I think they currently look much better than the narrow cars with grooved tyres we had previously. The engines were lovely then but the aesthetic of the cars was much worse. I do agree the fussy aero add ons are not great but the overall cars look fairly well balanced visuall.

I was lucky enough to watch them Live in Melbourne 1996 though to 2001 (lots of V10 and still the odd V12) era and I just can't get into it anymore. Is there even a driver in amongst all that scaffolding?

I watched the first few cars come out at yesterdays practice and they were mainly black. I guess I was watching the cheap teams etc.

The cars looked as messed up as most modern production cars to me....fussy

Here's hoping that they're all as entertaining as that one. A regular demolition derby - having been so used to everyone being so reliable, I'm surprised at the fragility of the machinery. Lovely comment to Hamilton, pointing out that the kerbs also include the red and white bits!

Great race, penalty a bit harsh on Lewis, but he knows the rules.... great for Norris and LeClerc and well done Bottas..... round 1 to the Finn :D

If it takes Hamilton a few races to get up to speed, as has happened in a number of seasons previously, then Bottas has a real shot at the title this year seeing as the championship will be quite a few races shorter than usual. I'm not a betting man but if he can nab a 5/3 or better wins lead over Hamilton over the first 8 races then the championship will probably be his to lose.

I'm hoping that's not the case, but if he brings his A-game to every race he's got a real chance to do it.

Shame that a championship for 2020 will always have an asterisk...

Gutted for ALB unlucky for both of them really, it was an ambitious move but he did have more space than he used HAM was already tighter than normal line and apparently on full lock so not much he could have done really.

Very happy for NOR, a joyous occasion to hear him celebrate and to out race SAI as well as that amazing last lap. Chapeau!

Very entertaining race, and we get to do it all again next week. Can’t wait.

Exciting race, with lots of action, DNFs, safety car, contact, penalties(!) and surprise results.

As noted on Channel 4 commentary, Merc could have swapped Hamilton and Bottas at the end to maximise their points total (swapping them back before the finish line). I guess they don't want to show favour to one particular driver as it would clearly disadvantage Bottas and help Hamilton.

I really don’t understand why Hamilton picked up that 5 second penalty. The other car hit him, he looked to be on line etc.

Albon had his car's nose in front at the point of contact so I'm guessing that's the deciding factor. I think it was 50/50 myself because Hamilton didn't unlock the steering or anything like that, he simply entered the corner in front and stuck to the racing line, which happened to collide (extremely quickly in an extremely short period of time) with Albon's. Although who could have called that before the corner! Poor call imo.

Looked 50/50 to me as well and the penalty was a bit harsh considering Albons move was a bit ambitious and pretty high risk . Albon would have been more sensible to wait as the Mercedes had problems and would he would probably easily have passed anyway .

Albon had his car's nose in front at the point of contact so I'm guessing that's the deciding factor.

That’s not how I remember it from the clip I saw on C4, it looked like Albon hit the back of Hamilton’s front wheel and then went off. I’ll try and find a replay tomorrow somewhere.

That’s not how I remember it from the clip I saw on C4, it looked like Albon hit the back of Hamilton’s front wheel and then went off. I’ll try and find a replay tomorrow somewhere.

XNaQZkj.jpg

On another day, that bigger rear wheel and tyre of Albon’s would knock the smaller front wheel and tyre of Hamilton’s into submission, and Albon could then retire from a higher position due to car failure.

I didn't watch the end of the show on Channel 4 - did they reveal why exactly Hamilton got the penalty? It looks like Albon drove into Hamilton (back wheel to front wheel) in the pic above.

advertisement

Back