advertisement

telling if tweeters are damaged?

Linds

pfm Member
Thought I'd shove this in the diy section, as you're more likely to dabble than most! I bought Royd RR1s secondhand some time ago and wonder if it's possible to tell if the tweeters have been fried in the previous life. Is there any way to tell (other than a sonic comparison with mint RR1s)?

A good way is usually to put a bit of piano music on and see if you get lots of rattles and zings. If you don't then all is probably well.

Another test is to phyically switch the speakers over using a single piece to audition. If it sounds different when you swap the speakers over then that's a sure indication of a problem

Do yor speakers have any symptoms which suggest there might be a problem ?

If you have a test CD with a freq. sweep, like the HFNews one, listen for any buzzes from the tweeters. If there are, make sure they're eminating from the dome, and not the tweeter vibrating against the cabinet.

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll give the piano music a try. I don't have a test CD. On many tracks it seems as if the "highs" (like cymbals) are suppressed and just wondered if that was a symptom. The Royd blurb for its RR speakers warns that the first order crossover offers the tweeter little protection against being fried and as the previous owner 1) had a big Krell amp and 2) sold them because they wouldn't "go loud enough", I just became curious.

Questioning if you've got a fault is just another symptom of upgraditis IMHO!

I'll feedback on buzziness once I've done my tests.

Tweeters can get old and start sounding dull.

I found that out with my first pair of MK1 SBL's

One tweeter died (probably of old age) so I bought a new pair - absolute breath of fresh air - I had no idea of what I'd been missing.

Royd speakers aren't exactly tonally neutral so if it doesn't sound natural that isn't necessarily a reaon to think anything's amiss, but past experience of the designs suggests they normally sound quite bright with a articulate but coloured bass/mid and if that isn't what you're getting it might indicate a problem

Well they are config'd for potential biwiring and set up with hard-wired jumpers INTERNALLY behind the sockets so default is for single-wiring.

On a mission to experiment with bi-amping, I've cut the internal jumpers then "re-created" said jumper with short lengths of Chord Odyssey between the terminals. Plug on one end, other end [cringe] screwed down onto bare wire.

I've just read the hifi+ review of RR1s which suggests best sound is leaving internal hardwires alone and single-wiring. I'll revert to that soldered arrangement and draw conclusions from there! :rolleyes:

If you want a testtone, then download CoolEdit . You can create sinus tones and sweeps with it and then just write them onto a CD with Nero or whatever you use. That way you can also try a sweep and see how they react.

advertisement

Back