advertisement

Tell me about the band 'Nucleus'

Started reading this then realised I was thinking of Isotope, which is a whole other thread.

Just a note to say I really love this band. Most days I either listen to one of their albums, or find myself wishing I had.

Thanks to all who led me down this path.

Thank christ for the bass player coming back in on that soft machine noodling, that was painful.

Finally got around to buying the Torrid Zone Vertigo box as a result of this thread. I was always aware of their existence, knew their records were very valuable (especially the ‘swirl’ label, first three IIRC), but can’t recall hearing anything. I’m starting at the beginning and liking it a lot so far. Only mid-way through the second album so far, certainly a bit of a Miles influence here and there (echoes of In A Silent Way on Elastic Rock, Bitches Brew on We’ll Talk About It Later), but since when has that been a bad thing? Really nice sounding CDs. I’ve obviously no idea how it compares to first press vinyl, as I’ve never had any, but it sounds really nicely mastered, not ‘loud’ etc. I’m enjoying it. An interesting band for sure.

PS The huge annoyance is they cheaped-out on the number of CDs so each album isn’t on its own disc, most spanning discs. This always makes new music so much harder to approach as there are no clear boundaries between albums, no flow etc. I’d have happily paid another fiver or whatever for everything as it was released. At least the mastering is great, that’s the main thing!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
farbey.jpg

Info here.

Stephen

Finally got around to buying the Torrid Zone Vertigo box as a result of this thread. I was always aware of their existence, knew their records were very valuable (especially the ‘swirl’ label, first three IIRC), but can’t recall hearing anything. I’m starting at the beginning and liking it a lot so far. Only mid-way through the second album so far, certainly a bit of a Miles influence here and there (echoes of In A Silent Way on Elastic Rock, Bitches Brew on We’ll Talk About It Later), but since when has that been a bad thing? Really nice sounding CDs. I’ve obviously no idea how it compares to first press vinyl, as I’ve never had any, but it sounds really nicely mastered, not ‘loud’ etc. I’m enjoying it. An interesting band for sure.

PS The huge annoyance is they cheaped-out on the number of CDs so each album isn’t on its own disc, most spanning discs. This always makes new music so much harder to approach as there are no clear boundaries between albums, no flow etc. I’d have happily paid another fiver or whatever for everything as it was released. At least the mastering is great, that’s the main thing!

I bought the same set and have the same gripe. PITA to rip them then renumber/regroup them into the original albums, but I suppose it only needed doing once. They do sound very good though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Here's a bit of a 70s Brit Jazz / Fusion-related oddity. Music from the early BBC series.

Goodies-3-CD-set-Cricklewood-Tapes-Bill-Oddie.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X5R5BBD/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This track, composed by Mike Gibbs, features John Marshall, John Mitchell, Chris Spedding (in fine form), Gary Boyle and Brian Odgers.

Warning - not many of the tracks on this 3CD set are like this one. :)

This all brings back memories of going to Leeds ( from Sheffield ) to see Labyrinth live at the university when I should have been revising for my O levels.

advertisement

Back