advertisement

Television recommendations, please...

Has already been mentioned, but buy one of Panasonic's new generation plasma's. Been out for 9 months now (?) and available for good money. Keep it 5 years and by that time the super low energy, OLED stuff will be more mainstream. You'll get your moneys worth out of the Panny. See if you can get a good deal on 5 year manufacturer's warranty.#

All the LCD's I looked at didn't look right to me, unless they were ones twice the price of the Panasonic.

The new range of Panasonics started being released in may,do bear in mind that the 5yr warranty is only available from official dealers,that usually means independents (JL)excepted,the multiples dixos/curry/comet make most of their profit from selling extended warranties.
The best of the lcd models are the latest led varients,however imho even the flagship Samsung/sony/sharp still lag behind Panas latest pdp offerings,with the 3d VT models being especially good even on 2d,and as for expensive,Pana still have the most expensive set on sale,in the states/japan they have a 4k/2k 152" giant which is the worlds largest for 100,000 dollars!!!

I've got a Panasonic at home that always had a slightly fizzy picture. My wife got pissed off with it last night and started complaining about to me that it wasn't as good as some others she'd seen, so I took a look at it.
We have Sky+. You know what it was?
I had it rigged up with HDMI to Blu-Ray player, Sky+ box & PS2, but there was also a Scart lead to the Sky+ box connected. Once I had removed that Scart lead it all came together. It must have cause some sort of feedback problem.
Forget the Scarts.

Panasonic 42" 720p set X10 model for £369 at richer sounds. So good I bought 2. On SD pictures its much better than a 1080 set due to less upscaling I suppose. On HD it is so marginally inferior to a 1080 that you would hardly notice the difference if they were side by side.
A 5 year warranty will be £37, and its one of the best warranties available. Power consumption is about 150watts in use, I measured it over a month of viewing and averaged it out as I too heard horror stories about power consumption on plasma sets.
Now go and buy one and you will never look back:eek:

PS. its got 2 rgb scarts and 3 hdmi's among its many connections.

Panasonic 42" 720p set X10 model for £369 at richer sounds. So good I bought 2. On SD pictures its much better than a 1080 set due to less upscaling I suppose. On HD it is so marginally inferior to a 1080 that you would hardly notice the difference if they were side by side.
A 5 year warranty will be £37, and its one of the best warranties available. Power consumption is about 150watts in use, I measured it over a month of viewing and averaged it out as I too heard horror stories about power consumption on plasma sets.
Now go and buy one and you will never look back:eek:

PS. its got 2 rgb scarts and 3 hdmi's among its many connections.

Hmmm - sounds interesting - I may take a look. Ta...

Whilst buying a replacement DVD player at Comet recently I enquired about Blueray players and told him that we had a 32 CRT which was only used for a weekly DVD film. The salesman told me not to waste my money and pointed me in the direction of a £29.99 Proline player and he said that our CRT TV probably has a better picture than most of the TVs in the showroom.

I did see some modern flat screen TVs at Richers on a recent visit and they looked allright to me price and picture wise, cheaper than the Comet and Curry stores.

I also have a 42 x10, as you state Mr Wolf the sets performance is so much better than a 1080 panel when viewing sd,only on blu ray does it fall down a little compared to it's 1080 panel siblings however from 12" away as you correctly state,the differences are marginal.

I also have a 42 x10, as you state Mr Wolf the sets performance is so much better than a 1080 panel when viewing sd,only on blu ray does it fall down a little compared to it's 1080 panel siblings however from 12" away as you correctly state,the differences are marginal.
Another vote for this, and I'm gutted at the Richer price. AFAICR I paid around £700 to John Lewis (inc. five year) no more than 18 months ago! At that price I may grab one for the kitchen ... er ... maybe not.

We installed a freesat dish and plan to buy a 32" flat screen and box. Initially was going to spend £800 on a Panasonic with freesat HD tuner in it then thought this was daft as we will want to record stuff on a freesat recorder. Should I buy the best value 32" screen without freesat built in and put the cash I save to the recorder?

Any recommendations for freesat HD recorders most welcome.

The Humax and Philipps(Pace) boxes are best imho,most if not all the stand alone and pvr boxes have "Bugs"some have been sorted some not,the guys on the av forum are up on most fixes,or go to their websites,however whilst performance wise most humax products ace it,their customer/technical service guys generally don't know their arse from their elbows!!!

We installed a freesat dish and plan to buy a 32" flat screen and box. Initially was going to spend £800 on a Panasonic with freesat HD tuner in it then thought this was daft as we will want to record stuff on a freesat recorder. Should I buy the best value 32" screen without freesat built in and put the cash I save to the recorder?

Any recommendations for freesat HD recorders most welcome.

Yes, leave out the Freesat tuner built into TV. Make sure you buy Freetime PVR or you will regret it. Only model out so far is Humax and other manufacturers should join the party early 2013.

I am buying one and the Freesat tuner built into my Pans will be redundant

I hope the "oz" refers to your name and not Australia. That'd make it 3 years. All the best :)

I confess it was my fault - wished to recommend a tv programme & mistakenly posted it here.
I deleted the post when I realised the mistake, but had lured andyoz in by then.

My search foo has failed - where have all the tv show threads gone?

advertisement

Back