advertisement

Telarc 1812 lp

I located my George Benson - Weekend in LA album which I couldn’t find for the life of me. It was located in with my Classical album rack for some strange reason. A great live performance which I ended up listening in its entirety last weekend on Spotify.
Now that's worth repeated listening. Unlike the 1812!

But accurate. Maybe Planets and a few others.
Perhaps so, I have no idea what classical music audiophiles own. I have both pieces but also hundreds of other classical records and attend several live performances a year. If those pieces serve as gateway drugs into the world of classical music that’s great in my opinion.

Perhaps so, I have no idea what classical music audiophiles own. I have both pieces but also hundreds of other classical records and attend several live performances a year. If those pieces serve as gateway drugs into the world of classical music that’s great in my opinion.
I quite agree. If the 1812 gets a lister on a journey to even just Tchaikovsky's great music, then that's job done. If it's the artistic zenith of the classical section of a collection containing just a handful of records in that genre, not so much. Tchaikovsky knocked it out in a few weeks and thought it had no merit...but it did make him a fortune. So there's that! I couldn't listen to it more than once a decade personally.

Never liked the 1812 (or any grandiose militaristic classical for that matter). I’ve far more time for Tchaikovsky’s piano and violin concertos etc. It amazes me how some of the ‘popular classics’ get to be popular. Most of them actually put me off classical at the start!

Except in most cases they don't. This piece has impressive cannon explosions and in vinyl can be used to test tracking limits.

Bugs Bunny was my introduction to classical music. The rabbit likely was the gateway to classical for many others, too. Some good bass tracks here to test your woofers’ transient response and impress your audio and nonaudiophile friends alike.

Joe

Amongst the 78's I was given around 1956 I was 7, just coming up 8 after a wind up gramophone I was given an early electric 78 rpm turntable with built in amp & speaker with steel replaceable steel needles (styluses) The 1812, Rhapsody in Blue & HMV recording of the Planet Suit + Sam Sam pick up thy (thi') musket along with many more certainly acted as a feeder for me.

I have over 1400 classical LP's including Mono & Stereo Dorati 1812'S as well as the Telearc, Albinoni to Weill I also have 500 modern classics like Beatles inc a Nimbus Sgt Pepper & 2 originals, I gained my wife's one among many when we married, Brubeck Greatest Hits, Transformer Lou Reed, Tapestry Carole King, several Stevie Wonder & 5 or 6 Floyd albums inc DSOTM & Wish You Were Here, The Animals to Zappa .

Last edited:
"I quite agree. If the 1812 gets a lister on a journey to even just Tchaikovsky's great music, then that's job done. If it's the artistic zenith of the classical section of a collection containing just a handful of records in that genre, not so much. Tchaikovsky knocked it out in a few weeks and thought it had no merit...but it did make him a fortune...."

Sadly, I don't think Peter Illich EVER made a fortune... even by the threadbare standards of late 19th Century Russia!

Sadly, I don't think Peter Illich EVER made a fortune... even by the threadbare standards of late 19th Century Russia!
Well, I don’t think I’ve read enough about him to be sure. He certainly relied on the above patron. But I have found a couple of sources on a quick google that state it made him and his descendants a vast amount of money. All relative I guess…and plenty of modern musicians have made and lost what would seem a fortune to me!

Funnily enough, although I can’t call myself a fan of Tchaikovsky it was a piece of his that must count as my earliest classical love. I was given as a child a 33rpm record of the Cappricio Italian and I adored it.

Anyway, for the record I think his greatest masterpiece is the 4th symphony. However the 5th leaves me cold. 6th is wonderful. I tolerate the 1st piano concerto but find the violin concerto glorious. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Funnily enough, although I can’t call myself a fan of Tchaikovsky it was a piece of his that must count as my earliest classical love. I was given as a child a 33rpm record of the Cappricio Italian and I adored it.

Anyway, for the record I think his greatest masterpiece is the 4th symphony. However the 5th leaves me cold. 6th is wonderful. I tolerate the 1st piano concerto but find the violin concerto glorious. And that’s all I have to say about that.

No love for his ballets?

It's probably the only Classical music piece that audiophiles (which don't listen to Classical) play/own.
That says it all...

I listen sometimes to classical over the radio, but have no real interest. Still, I, for some reason I don't understand myself, own roughly a hundred LP's with classical that I never listen to. None is the mentioned 'needle bender' 1812.

More prejudices when we're at it? Country music fans can't be audiophiles? You can only judge a system if you listen to 'real' acoustic instruments? Etc? Etc?

I have the Saint-saens Organ symphony in the Telarc Soundstream series. Maybe low organ notes are more forgiving that cannons. I also have the Boito prologue plus Verdi's Te Deum (1980)

These preceded the retail advent of CD by three or so years and I'm surprised this early digital is so good. Renditions are another matter, of course.

Here are my combos that would track the Telarc cannons:
Thorens TD125/SME3009 S2/Shure V15/III
Thorens TD125/SME3009 S2/Denon DL103D
Linn LP12/Ittok/Asaka
Linn LP12/Linn Ekos 2/AT VMS760SLC

And here are the combos that wouldn't:
Linn LP12/Ittok/Asak
Linn LP12/Ekos 2/Akiva
Linn LP12/Ekos 2/Lyra Argo
Linn LP12/Ekos 2/Lyra Argo i

This gear was owned by me over that last 50+ years.

advertisement

Back