advertisement

Telarc 1812 lp

robbyd

pfm Member
Who here has a copy and can track the cannon sequences?

I recently acquired a first pressing, a very advanced production for 1979... The Telarc disc is a bit of a legend for slaying cartridges, apparently.

A Beogram 8002/mmc2 can't track without fallout, and even jumps from groove on the last explosion! Maybe not surprising as the horizontal arm movement isn't 'free'...

My soundsmith Straingauge on a Lyla unipivot did possibly worse - well I didn't want to go further after the first rounds...

Who here has a copy and can track the cannon sequences?

I recently acquired a first pressing, a very advanced production for 1979... The Telarc disc is a bit of a legend for slaying cartridges, apparently.

A Beogram 8002/mmc2 can't track without fallout, and even jumps from groove on the last explosion! Maybe not surprising as the horizontal arm movement isn't 'free'...

My soundsmith Straingauge on a Lyla unipivot did possibly worse - well I didn't want to go further after the first rounds...
My original SME & V15iii tracked it, My Syrinx 2 with mass ring & Dynavector 10X5 tracked it nothing since not any of my GH Hadcock 242 Silver with Cartridgeman offerings or the Hana ML in the Hadcock arm

I read an unfortunate Dealer blew the tweeters on a pair of expensive floorstanders at a recent hifi show before the first customer had even walked through the door playing the 1812 Overture too loud. So they had to switch to their standmounts. I couldn't find the article to post, but obviously you need to show the original Telarc pressing respect and know your speakers.

Stopped selling this record , warning on cover , but customers wanted to return as faulty

Tracking passed with High Spec MMs V15IV with Jico SASB , 2M Black ( with higher VTF ) & Nagaoka MP500 ( with higher VTF )
cant think of many if any MCs that could play the record

SACD only track ever to get the Overload red lights flashing on my big speakers 4,200wpc active Hedd monitors

WARNING! The cannons of the Telarc Digital "1812" are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment.
Caution! Digital Cannons Full frequency range of the three full-sized canons.

Can’t recall a copy of it passing through the shop, though I have got Rite Of Spring and Pictures At An Exhibition from the same series. Very well cut and dynamic records. The groove modulation is very wide at times.

blob

blob

I just played my original pressing of the Telarc and it tracked it just fine with my LP12/Ekos2/Asaka. I much prefer this version of the piece.

OC0zNzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Stopped selling this record , warning on cover , but customers wanted to return as faulty

Tracking passed with High Spec MMs V15IV with Jico SASB , 2M Black ( with higher VTF ) & Nagaoka MP500 ( with higher VTF )
cant think of many if any MCs that could play the record

SACD only track ever to get the Overload red lights flashing on my big speakers 4,200wpc active Hedd monitors

WARNING! The cannons of the Telarc Digital "1812" are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment.
Caution! Digital Cannons Full frequency range of the three full-sized canons.
This has blown many bass units but not mine fortunately!

I've got the Telarc version but I prefer the Antal Dorati rendition over Erich Kunzel.
I have a couple Dorati versions, one with Minneapolis and the other Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

One nice result of this thread is that I located my George Benson - Weekend in LA album which I couldn’t find for the life of me. It was located in with my Classical album rack for some strange reason. A great live performance which I ended up listening in its entirety last weekend on Spotify.

I can never understand the popularity of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 OVERTURE.

Give me his MARCHE SLAVE any day of the week… preferably under the baton of ZUBIN MEHTA and the LA PHILHARMONIC.

They really bring it home! 🥳🥳🥳

(And no annoying canons… 😂)

I, at some occasion, downloaded a couple of Telarc 1812 via YT. I think two was LP and one CD. It was easy to check the waveforms in Audacity that the two LP version was clearly wounded from misstracking. And it was also audible. Yes, the music is quite boring.

advertisement

Back