advertisement

TeddyXPS and Naim nDAC

Bob Edwards

pfm Member
Received a TeddyXPS to use with my Naim nDAC today. Even though it's only been plugged in for about 3 hours, I couldn't resist a quick listen and sharing first impressions.

Short form: It's staying. It's quite a bit better than the nDAC on its own (which is, IMO, quite good). Even after only 3 hours, the TeddyXPS makes everything more fluid, organic, extended, and controlled, without losing any of the liveliness of the nDAC. It makes everything "more of a piece," and there is a greater sense of . . . ease.

Obviously not run in, and have only tried it with a few discs, but the improvement is consistent - and remarkable. More to follow. But so far, if anyone has been thinking of it, go for it. At $1099 USD, it's quite amazing.

Bravo!

New it will be over bright and give it 3 weeks it will have improved even more, had quite a bit off experience with teddy supplies as i have tried them all, over the years

the TeddyXPS makes everything more fluid, organic, extended, and controlled, without losing any of the liveliness of the nDAC. It makes everything "more of a piece," and there is a greater sense of . . . ease.

I use a nDAC and XPS and it sounds almost exactly the same as what you've described above. You probably haven't had time to listen to too much music yet, but there are certain recordings, 2 in particular, that are the best sound reproduction I have ever heard on any format. They are BB King's 'Blues on the Bayou' and a Harmonia Mundi recording of Schubert's Winterreise with Mark Padmore and Paul Lewis.

The nDAC is a bit overlooked in these days of streaming, but it's a formidable bit of kit and adding a power supply takes it to a whole new level.

I guess that now the consumer has a choice: second-hand XPS or new Teddy Pardo for about the same money, or at least it would be here in the UK :) Are prices in the States still higher than the UK?

I use a nDAC and XPS and it sounds almost exactly the same as what you've described above. You probably haven't had time to listen to too much music yet, but there are certain recordings, 2 in particular, that are the best sound reproduction I have ever heard on any format. They are BB King's 'Blues on the Bayou' and a Harmonia Mundi recording of Schubert's Winterreise with Mark Padmore and Paul Lewis.

The nDAC is a bit overlooked in these days of streaming, but it's a formidable bit of kit and adding a power supply takes it to a whole new level.

I guess that now the consumer has a choice: second-hand XPS or new Teddy Pardo for about the same money, or at least it would be here in the UK :) Are prices in the States still higher than the UK?

The TeddyXPS was $1099 US, which was less than half of what a used XPS2 was being sold for.

I think that Bob hit the nail on its head.

The Teddy XPS really does good things for a Naim dac and might be the end point for many in terms of a dac.

In my opinion the Teddy dac is even better than the Ndac/Txps combo. It’s such a shame that they are currently not currently available.

No on a NDS, but all teddypardo supplies tend to be a bit bright to start with
Hi - I've just picked up a "pre-loved" Teddy XPS Mark 1 to power my Naim CDX. It's only been in use for a few days and I am finding it a bit bright (but potentially a significant improvement on the raw CDX). Hoping it will "mature" but, if not, do you have any view on whether a Teddy XPS Mark 3 would be less "in your face"?

Received a TeddyXPS to use with my Naim nDAC today. Even though it's only been plugged in for about 3 hours, I couldn't resist a quick listen and sharing first impressions.

Short form: It's staying. It's quite a bit better than the nDAC on its own (which is, IMO, quite good). Even after only 3 hours, the TeddyXPS makes everything more fluid, organic, extended, and controlled, without losing any of the liveliness of the nDAC. It makes everything "more of a piece," and there is a greater sense of . . . ease.

Obviously not run in, and have only tried it with a few discs, but the improvement is consistent - and remarkable. More to follow. But so far, if anyone has been thinking of it, go for it. At $1099 USD, it's quite amazing.

Bravo!
Hi Bob,
I had a Naim DAC V1 and as I was missing the sound so I just bougth an nDAC, and it has an awesome sound. I was thinking in buying a Teddy XPS to improve, and saw your post from 2020.
What has been your experience? Do you still have it? IS it worth the price (now around 1.300 €).
Thank you.

Hi,
First I had the Ndac connected to the cd player cd5xs. It was an improvement compared to the cd player alone. Then I bought the Teddy Pardo xps, and better it was. Then I replaced the couple Ndac- TP xps with the Gustard x26pro, and I must admit that recent technology embedded in new dacs gives very good results for less money.

Thank you eustache53. The only way to know what you like is listening by yourself. Also have a Cayin i6 DAC and sounds really good. The market is very much in Asia nowadays.

advertisement

Back