advertisement

TeddyReg PCB Group Buy - Interest Check

neiljadman

I have been talking with Teddy about offering a group buy on professionally made pcbs. Teddy has kindly agreed to the group buy under a kind of open source basis, on the condition they are purchased for personal use only & strictly for non-commercial use.

Feasibility depends entirely on demand. And to make it work I figure that it would need an order for a minimum of 40 strips (see next para below), in which case the cost per regulator board could drop to ~$1.75 - $2.00 a piece, plus shipping etc...less if demand is really high. (at 100 boards for instance the price drops to around $1 a regulator)

To make it economical I have to produce them in strips of 8 and mix positive and -ve regs on one strip. - so 8 (one strip) will be the minimum order quantity. And since I have no idea of the ratio of +ve to -ve regulators needed, my initial proposal is to put 6 +ve and 2 -ve regulators per strip. But it could change to 7 + 1 if demand supports it.

I can also do PowerReg boards - but only as a +ve/-ve pair priced per pair. And will do so if there is sufficient demand. At a starting point of 20 pairs costs coudl be as high as $20 per board, but they'll come down quickly as quantities increase, e.g., at 40 pairs they come down to about $10 per board.

Teddy has vetted the board layout and they are arranged such that the TO220 packages can be heat sinked against an enclosure wall or floor. If you want to see the board layout a jpg with 8 +ve regulators is here: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/neiljadman/Strip.jpg. but the easiest way is to drop me an email and I'll send one back ASAP. The boards will be 2 layer with the ground plane on the top layer, through hole plated, silk screened and with solder mask. But you will have to split them yourself. They will also be marked for 3/32 drill holes should you wish to mount them on standoffs - though you'll have to drill the holes yourself.

I'll be shipping from the US, but Mus has kindly offered to receive a bulk shipment and split and distribute and UK/EU orders. I hope that will help keep shipping in check for EU buyers and allows me to handle the import issues with VAT and Duty - so you'll get no hidden surprises there. I'll ship other international orders from here (California) at a cost of $11 per order.

Since the cost of the bulk shipment will be amortized across the entire EU order I have no way of telling the exact cost of a an order as yet. And I aim to make a (very) small margin which will be donated to the upkeep costs of PFM.

But if you are interested in making it happen, send me an email (NO PMs please) to: neiljadman (at) comcast (dot) net and let me know:
  1. Name
  2. Quantity of +ve regulators you would buy
  3. Quantity of -ve regulators you would buy
  4. Quantity of PowerReg boards you would buy
  5. The maximum price you'd be prepared to pay per strip of 8 bare boards.
  6. Your PFM ID
  7. The country to ship to
And make sure that the phrase "TeddyReg PCB Group Buy" is the subject line.

Once I have a better idea for the demand, I can firm up on the pricing and ask for your final commitments. Please help spread the word - it's to everyone's advantage.

My thanks to Teddy for sharing the circuit design, vetting the boards, his advice on optimizing the layout and for making this group buy possible.

Green are the bottom tracks and red are the top layer tracks for the ground plane. It could actually be produced as a single sided board since no tracks actually cross, but it just seemed sensible to separate the ground plane from the power tracks, to keep them as far apart as possible.

I'll try and post a close up of a single reg - which will make things much clearer.

Excellent news for a pleb such as me. Just thinking how many i want. I have'nt installed my ALWSR's or PFM gyrators yet but what the hell.

email to come Neil.

Thanks Teddy, Neil and Mus.

stu

This sounds very useful....I'd certainly be interested in (maybe in Powerregs as well but I don't know what they are - yet). Any chance of offering a component kit as well?

Neil, I hope I don't tread on your toes with this, but I'd like to throw my design into the mix for consideration for the group buy. The PCB layout files are free to anyone who wants them, as are the gerbers, and (if the consensus of opinion prefers this design) you're free to use them for the group buy - it's all open source stuff that I'll put into the public domain. All I ask is that I'm not involved with the group buy, I've had enough for now ;)

pic2.png

This design has positive and negative TeddyRegs on one board, with very careful attention to detail on starred 0V and power connections at critical points (C3, C4, C10, C11 on the PCB; components are labelled differently to Teddy's circuit diagram). By keeping the + and - regs on one board, we get the benefit of a common 0V star and reduced production cost; the PCB also has nice symmetry with in/out voltage points. Currently it's single layer, but if it's going to be manufactured, it could be adjusted to double-sided to accommodate thicker tracks if people would like that.

What do you think?
Carl

Can i have two of Carls and ten of Neils?

I would personaly prefer +ve and -ve on seperate boards because i will probably try them in the StarFish, and would like to keep the regs as close to the circuit they are feeding, as possible.

I would also like an equal amount of +ve/-ve regs on one strip (if Neils design is used) because most of my kit is now split rail.
Anyone who isn't running split-rail preamps and is serious about getting the best Diy performance will surley end up with split-rail kit in the end. (hence, they will wish they'd voted for a 50/50 (+ve/-ve) split). . . Wont they?

Yes I'm with Matt. I'd also like some single and some split rail. If the costs come down then I'd be in for about a dozen of everything.

Neil: I'll email you tonight with a more definite info.

hmmmm have to say I could use a couple or three of Carls as well as the strips of single boards im interested in.

I like the idea of a common board, in fact I was going to suggest a common board for two +ve regs anyway - because a lot will be used that way (hicap replacements). I didnt suggest it because I dont want to create extra work for anyone kind enough to do this.

Anything is possible while we are at this initial stages. I have actually been toying with the two other configurations listed too:
  1. A paired double positive regulator - drop in for a SNAPS or Hicap (or clones)
  2. A pair of +ve/-ve regulators similar to the PowerReg layout
In both situations (and the PowerReg pair) one of my key considerations was to keep the TO220 packages along a common edge to facilitate heat sinking.

I'll post layouts of the two later. It really all depends on demand. But unless the quantities for each are so high, cost will be optimized by keeping all the potential configurations on one mixed strip- where 8 total regs is the max that can be hosted per strip. So conceivably one strip could even end up being:
  • One dual +ve pair
  • One +ve/-ve pair
  • One +ve/-ve PowerReg pair
  • two +ve regs

Which might just be the most economical and versatile way of configuring it. One mixed board would be the most economical way to produce them, even if it means a small amount of wastage for some users. Who knows, maybe there would be a unused regulator exchange thread at some point?

But for my own sanity I don't want to make this too complicated

I too would be even more interested if the strip contained a healthy mixture like you suggest of regs and PowerRegs.

Totally agree. A mixed board would be the best way of keeping everyone happy.
It would be worth having a few spare for future projects/experiments.

neil

I would be very interested in some of these. A double positive for the HiCap sounds interesting but I also would like a dozen or so of the positive and negatives for ongoing projects. Not too fussed how they are arranged I'll let you experts work out the best options and go with the flow.

eddie

Neil,

You are a star!

I'm certainly interested in a couple of strips (8:2) and a couple of those power regs (something to try in my 130z monos).

I would prefer 2 sorts of strip - one with mixed +/- ve regs and the other with power regs.

But I will go along with the majority requirement in order to make the thing as painless as possble for you Neil.

jo

I'll have a few of each too. Mixed +/- boards as per Jo's above but again will go with the flow.

Graham

advertisement

Back