advertisement

TeddyDAC revisited...the 24/192 USB input

rontoolsie

pfm Member
So I have had the TeddyDAC VC for several months now....it is taking input from both the Squeezebox Touch (via some very foo Audio Magic Illusion coax RCA) and the TV (similar audiophily Audioquest Voodoo optical). I compared both of those with the equivalent Amazon Basic cable. The coax RCAs were broadly quite similar but the Audio Magic had a soupcon of better playback, while the Audioquest Voodoo was a chasm over the Basic equivalent....even voices in documentaries were rendered much more intelligle and with less boom and unpleasant chestiness that the Basik cable offered.

As 95% of my ripped music is 16/44 I was in no great rush to try out the optional 24/192 USB input that the TeddyDAC was fitted with-until yesterday that is.

This required a very simple 3rd party applet on the SBT that configured the USB INPUT to a digital OUTPUT. The only USB cable I had on hand was an ancient one what I had been using with a Canon Scanner. I was expecting zero difference due the the redbook standard of my music library...and besides I stream internet radio as much as anything else-and that is already a 'low-res' source.

But literally from the first note, there was something very, very different with the USB input. As I am typing here, the music is playing in the adjoining room, and I and easily hear the extra thud and grip that has been injected into the lower end, and the clarity, transparency and textures are also much improved. This was about as bit as a jump as going from the analog outputs of the SBT to the TeddyDAC using the coax input. Maybe bigger.

I know I am not imagining it, as I listened about ten hours yesterday and enjoyed every moment. I can't remember the last time I had a marathon listening session.

Even streamed radio sounds very good, and indeed better than hires files did on the coax input.
I'm selling the foo coax cable and trying out a decent USB one.

Owners of the TeddyDAC should serious consider this $149 option as the rewards are far higher than the modest extra cost would suggest. Anybody else with similar experiences??

Is it possible that the level of the optional 24/192 USB input has a slightly different level?

AFAIK the SBT plugin that enables 24/192 from the USB port of the SBT will only output 24/192 from the port if you send it 24/192 material. Are you saying that ordinary red book sounds better via USB than it does via RCA? Or are you upsampling red book to 24/192 then playing it via USB? Have you tried using the USB port on a laptop and playing the same stuff?

No...im playing straight Redbook into the USB input...no upsampling or any other skullduggery. Yet is sounds so much better at all listening levels than the coax input. I'm having a hard time NOT listening to music all day now. There must be something that the USB board does...or more likely does NOT do as compared to the coax.

and besides I stream internet radio as much as anything else-and that is already a 'low-res' source.

There are loseless FLAC streams available for Radio Paradise, JB Radio 2 and others (I assume). Look them up if you already listen to these stations.

No...im playing straight Redbook into the USB input...no upsampling or any other skullduggery. Yet is sounds so much better at all listening levels than the coax input. I'm having a hard time NOT listening to music all day now. There must be something that the USB board does...or more likely does NOT do as compared to the coax.
Maybe it is the USB input of your DAC that is responsible, rather than the USB output of the SBT. Try a laptop with the same program material.

As I understand it, async USB is a better solution than coax because the DAC controls the clock completely.

See here:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/our-guide-usb-audio-why-should-i-use-it

"A computer and a USB DAC both have their own internal clock which dictates the timing for both devices. One of the problems with USB audio transfer is that these clocks are not running at the same time. Digital music is sent as USB packets from the computer down the USB cable to the DAC. These are sent in periodic time frames according to the computers clock.

There are three types of USB audio DAC

Synchronous USB DAC is the lowest quality of the three often used in low end products, so none of ours course! (that’s right, we’re being smug!) These accept the packets of data whenever the data sends them causing glitches every few seconds due to the differences between the two clocks.

Adaptive is where the DAC constantly adjusts its clock so that it can accept the data being sent from the computer whenever it sends them. The constant adapting of the DAC’s clock means that there is no continuous, accurate master clock in the DAC, which causes jitter in the audio stream.

In both of the above the computer dictates the timing of the data packets being sent.

Asynchronous – this is the most complex to implement but it is a huge improvement on the other types. This is because it requests the data packets to be sent in time with its own clock’s timing, thus providing the lowest jitter and sounding by far the best."

Tim

Maybe it is the USB input of your DAC that is responsible, rather than the USB output of the SBT. Try a laptop with the same program material.
This is EXACTLY my point....the Teddy DAC performs to a significantly higher standard when all content (even 128k MP3) are inputted through its USB input. Although I hadn't seriously considered this being an idiosyncracy of the different outputs of the SBT itself. Maybe I should try to rule this out too.

This is EXACTLY my point....the Teddy DAC performs to a significantly higher standard when all content (even 128k MP3) are inputted through its USB input. Although I hadn't seriously considered this being an idiosyncracy of the different outputs of the SBT itself. Maybe I should try to rule this out too.

Or idiosyncrasies of the way the Teddy DAC handles different inputs?

… I hadn't seriously considered this being an idiosyncracy of the different outputs of the SBT itself. Maybe I should try to rule this out too.
I don't know the SBT but similar software I know maintains separate audio settings for different output devices. So perhaps you should rule out differences in the SBT setup between the coax and USB outputs for things like volume control fixed/variable, Replay Gain on/off, equalization …

The applet is available on the resident menu on the SBT... its the Extended Digital Output app and takes under 10 seconds to download and autoinstall. It will of course only work with the TeddyDAC IF you had the optional USB module factory installed.

Are TeddyDACs still in production? They seem to all be out of stock at the moment, although the USB option is still available as a separate unit.

The applet is available on the resident menu on the SBT... its the Extended Digital Output app and takes under 10 seconds to download and autoinstall. It will of course only work with the TeddyDAC IF you had the optional USB module factory installed.
Ah Teddy only! I’ve just got the Naim v1 was hoping to try it with that.

No...
This applet is specific to the SBT....once it is run the SBT can then be used into any DAC that has a USB input. The TEDDY DAC does not come standard with the 24/192 USB as that is an optional extra. But if the V1 has a USB input and you are also using a SBT then all is well.

No...
This applet is specific to the SBT....once it is run the SBT can then be used into any DAC that has a USB input. The TEDDY DAC does not come standard with the 24/192 USB as that is an optional extra. But if the V1 has a USB input and you are also using a SBT then all is well.
Yes v1 plus squeezebox. So I don’t need the app? Just a decent usb cable? Either way I’ll try it later.

YES...you need to app....without it the USB on the SBT is only an input. Running the app that is found on the SBT menu then reconfigures it as an output, which will then work with the V1 USB input.
If the V1 USB is an async one, then it is very much worth doing.
Try it and report back.

YES...you need to app....without it the USB on the SBT is only an input. Running the app that is found on the SBT menu then reconfigures it as an output, which will then work with the V1 USB input.
If the V1 USB is an async one, then it is very much worth doing.
Try it and report back.
Will do. Thanks

advertisement

Back