advertisement

Teddy Pardo - what's so special?

I am the owner of an entry level Naim system cd5, nap 150x, nac 152xs and flatcap xs.
Read about alternative Naim power supplies and tried a sonic bliss which was supposed to be an improvement on a flatcap.
Tried the sonic bliss on my system and it was shockingly bad it killed the Naim sound it was sold on as soon as possible.
That is what is putting me off trying Teddy.

Tried the sonic bliss on my system and it was shockingly bad it killed the Naim sound it was sold on as soon as possible. That is what is putting me off trying Teddy.
TP is not Sonic Bliss, and TP has a 14-day full refund policy. I think that is about as risk-free as it gets, when it comes to buying something blind.

I've enjoyed Naim kit in my system for the last 15 years. They make great kit. The community, support and resale value is reassuring, But beyond a certain point the upgrade path is vertiginous and I can't go there. Should I want to?

I've found that the TeddyCap worked better than a hicap with my Naim cd5, nac 32.5 and currently a Naim supernait. And its so quiet. And its smaller and neater. And it just sits there and works perfectly. And it doesn't need a recap every 7-10 years. And its cheaper.

As others have said I like the fact that I can read Teddy's posts here and that he's a talented person who has made a business out of a hobby and taken on the establishment, the way that Naim and Linn did a long time ago.

I'm looking forward to adding more Teddy kit into my system soon.

I am the owner of an entry level Naim system cd5, nap 150x, nac 152xs and flatcap xs.
Read about alternative Naim power supplies and tried a sonic bliss which was supposed to be an improvement on a flatcap.
Tried the sonic bliss on my system and it was shockingly bad it killed the Naim sound it was sold on as soon as possible.
That is what is putting me off trying Teddy.
Teddy kit comes up for sale 2nd hand regularly, and just as with Naim kit you won't lose money trying it this way. At worst you don't like it - most people do but YMMV. So you sell it on for about what you paid for it and keep your flatcap xs. That was my reasoning but it was the hicap that I sold for about what I'd bought it for a few years earlier.

Teddy XPS arrived this morning . I'd had the valves warming up since breakfast ( CDX etc stays on ) so I could hit the ground running .
Switched off for the two minute install time and powered up again .
Kind a Blue in the CDX/Teddy XPS and pressed play . OMG ! This is wonderful and fantastic value . Deep , taut bass ( considering the Vandy Treos limitations here ) and heaps of detail and sustain .
Although it's been a while since I heard it with a Naim Olive XPS ; the disc , amp and speakers are the same . It's definitely better than the Olive Naim was .
I'm smitten :) Thanks Teddy !

The price of Teddy XPS is definitely attractive compare to XPSDR, although i am running the TXPS but i never had to chance to compare with XPSDR, can't say which one is better.

i am running Teddy XPS on nDac with 282/250DR based system. It definitely uplifted the nDac, but I am thinking to sell the nDac and TXPS for the up coming Qutest... not sure if that's a sideway move though...
sorry for hijacking the thread. any body interested to the Teddy XPS, bought off from a user here last year. mint condition with original burndy cable. around 4-5 years old.
selling to try the up coming Qutest.

Well today I finally added more Teddy kit to my system.

In the last few weeks I've gone from chord qute hd -> nam supernait/teddy cap plus to chord hugo -> teddy MB100 monoblocks. Thats driving neat iota alphas, digital sources are varied.

The chord hugo is just as everyone has said. I ran this into the supernait/teddy for about a week and was thinking what a good combination it was. I'd been having some treble issues withe the iotas but re-positioned them and suddenly everything was good again and the hugo was doing its thing.

Today I plugged the hugo into the MB100s and there is another massive all-round improvement. Its elemental - the sound is more airy, liquid and solid all at once (and its on fire of course). Its a sonic tautology. Whats interesting is that the system has lost none of the pace or dynamic ability you'd associate with naim but has gained in every other respect.

Okay so on paper you might expect a pair of 100 wpc regulated monoblocks fed directly from a good dac to sound better than a 70 wpc integrated amp. But compare the used prices. Buying new I reckon 2 new MB100s with vat and delivery are about the same as a nap 200. No contest.

As I have no analogue sources and don't need a remote this combination works perfectly for me.

(BTW my Teddycap plus and chord qute hd are now for sale.The qute hd is still a very good dac and offers good vfm now but I wanted to try a dac/pre. The Teddycap needs a new naim amp to power. Please give me a shout if you're interested).

Since I simplified my system about 8 yrs ago, I’ve used an ST60 stereo amp in conjunction with a TeddydacVC DAC and feel no need to change. I’m not sure it sounds much that much better or worse than the many excellent amps of similar specification that are on the market, but it is a good no frills design using high quality components and has been 100% reliable.
Previous equipment I owned has always suffered from mains noise, and I think my house supply must have always been on the noisy side as it manifested itself on several different setups I had previously. The TP gear in contrast has always been totally free of annoying buzzes and hums etc. I put that down to Teddy’s emphasis on power supply design, and I should recommend his designs to anyone with a problem in this area as certainly worth an audition.

They are very cheap compared to Naim his take on the Naim psu's at less than half price are excellent value.

Hi @teddy_pardo

With your DC output power supplies (like the 5V Squeezebox PSU), is your AC input ground/earth continuous with the DC output?

If not, is there any particular reason you don't ground/earth the DC output?

It's not common with DC output PSU's I find, just wondering the reason/s

Cheers!

Hi @teddy_pardo

With your DC output power supplies (like the 5V Squeezebox PSU), is your AC input ground/earth continuous with the DC output?

If not, is there any particular reason you don't ground/earth the DC output?

It's not common with DC output PSU's I find, just wondering the reason/s

Cheers!

The mains AC ground/earth is connected to the power supply case for safety reasons and for screening, it is not connected to the DC zero.

advertisement

Back