advertisement

Teddy Pardo vs. Naim XP5XS with Naim nDAC

twochannelguy

Greetings forum - First time posting on pink fish and I'm looking for some Intel on th3 above mentioned power supplies. I'm running a Supernait 3 with a Teddy Pardo TeddyCap SE, nDAC and I want to upgrade the nDAC. I'm seeking guidance on the better product for my system.
Thank you !

I ran an nDac with both a TP XPS and Naim XPS2. They were on a par if a little different to each other, not enough to pick one over the other from memory. I kept the TP given the price differential. The nDac certainly improves substantially with the addition of a p/s

I’m well known around here as a Teddy (fan) boy.

I had a ndac and the addition of the TXPS was significant. An alternative option to consider is selling the ndac and buying a Teddy dac. Yes it’s a few years old but it’s also superb. I sold the Naim/Teddy combo to buy a dac-vc and 12 years later it’s still in use.

Currently a new Teddy XPS is running $1500.00 USD and a preowned Naim XP5XS the same so I'm seeking information on any sonic differences between the two. Also will the XP5XS be on the verge of needing a refresh?

I chose Teddy XPS over the Naim XP5XS or XPS when I was running the first generation streamers (ND5XS/NDX/NDS) and nDAC. Sweet spot was NDX/TXPS into nDAC/TXPS.

I also preferred the Dual TeddyCap over 2 x HiCaps in a 282 at the time.

AR Lunar cabling was also an improvement over the stock Naim leads, not a massive difference but worthwhile when chasing the last few %.

HTH
Gus

I ran an nDac with both a TP XPS and Naim XPS2. They were on a par if a little different to each other, not enough to pick one over the other from memory.
I'd echo this. I experimented with multiple TP units over the years that I owned Naim systems and found that in general there is a difference in sound, though not necessarily one being better than the other.
I eventually decided that I marginally preferred a Dual Teddy Cap on my 282s (but I did go back an forth a few times) but the XPS DR was sonically 'king' with my NDX2. Ultimately there's not a huge amount of difference in quality and I made final decisions based on other elements (mainly the lack of buzzing, smaller size and no need for expensive servicing).
I would just point out that I was only ever comparing TP XPS with Naim XPS (and XPS DR), not XP5XS. It's generally considered that the Naim XPSs are a good deal ahead of the XP5XS (although I never personally heard an XP5XS in my system), and hence I worked on the premise that the TP XPS is too (given how close it is to the Naim XPS).
I tried at all times to not thing too hard about price...but it clearly is a factor. It's possibly a harder choice now that s/h Naim prices have tanked (here in the UK at least), but the buzzing won't stop and the servicing certainly won't get cheaper either.

**cough cough** Buy the TP **cough cough**

Teddy Pardo doesn't provide a power cord with the unit so I'll need one. What aftermarket power cords are popular in the forum for TP and Naim? I'm currently running Audio Envy Expanded Power cables made in the US.

advertisement

Back