advertisement

Technics SP10R

1243237840_spocks-eyebrow.gif

Joe

I doubt Technics would bring back the SP10 unless analogue was doing OK, so I'll take this as a sign that analogue is doing OK, which is OK by me.

Joe

Looks lovely, typical Technics/Japanese understated design.

It will be very interesting to see how it compares to the old SP-10

I want to hear one!

I'd love to have one of these beauties but it will be far more than what I would like to spend. Plus I would need to think about the choice of plinth and arm, although I am sure Technics will be providing these as options.

I'd settle for the 1200G, if I can get my hands on one!

I'd love to have one of these beauties but it will be far more than what I would like to spend. Plus I would need to think about the choice of plinth and arm, although I am sure Technics will be providing these as options.

I'd settle for the 1200G, if I can get my hands on one!

I just watched the press conference, and Michiko Ogawa said there will be a complete SP10R turntable system with plinth and arm.

Never thought I would see this , can't believe it, they must be investing a lot of money but the demand and interest must be there.

Objectively very good, quiet, great pitch, amazing torque etc but it just sounded soulless and dead in the water compared to the TD-124. The music didn't breathe, it didn't sound alive or connect emotionally. It was a mistake, but one I probably had to do as it gave me a benchmark to assess my 124 restoration against. It was so far behind it actually only spent one night in the system!

PS Many suggest the areas I describe can be greatly improved with mat changes etc, but I couldn't be bothered. My main interest was note pitch and I concluded the 124 was just as in tune to my ears. I also hated the bright blue LEDs!

Same arm and cart?

Not possible as the Technics has its own integrated arm, a fancy magnesium variant of the SL-1200 MkII arm. The Thorens has a late-60s SME 3009. To enable quick swaps I had a Ortofon 2M Black in the Technics and its very similar sounding predecessor, the 540/II in the TD-124. I obviously know the differences between these two well as I've compared them at length. The phono stage is setup load and capacitance wise for the 2M Black, i.e. the dem was likely slanted in the Technics favour. At one point late on I even swapped the SME's arm cable (vdH 501 Hybrid) to the Technics just to ensure the capacitance value was as similar as I could get it between the decks. I also tried the Technics with a old Linn felt mat I have knocking around, and felt that opened it up a bit, but I still preferred the Thorens overall.

If you listen to specs you would prefer the SL-1200, it is quieter, more dynamic, gets up to speed instantly etc, but if you love the way Sonny Rollins phrases his sax lines or whatever the 124 just sings. It just gets the musical message across better.

I don't want this to read as a slag-off of the Technics. It is a very good turntable, beautifully made, staggering torque (you could use it as an angle-grinder!) and simplicity itself to set up and use. It is also totally silent, which an idler deck will never be. I just think the TD-124 is a rather better deck, which is fair as it would likely cost a lot more if made today. In fact I bet mine is worth more second hand than the 1200G new!

Not possible as the Technics has its own integrated arm, a fancy magnesium variant of the SL-1200 MkII arm. The Thorens has a late-60s SME 3009. To enable quick swaps I had a Ortofon 2M Black in the Technics and its very similar sounding predecessor, the 540/II in the TD-124. I obviously know the differences between these two well as I've compared them at length. The phono stage is setup load and capacitance wise for the 2M Black, i.e. the dem was likely slanted in the Technics favour. At one point late on I even swapped the SME's arm cable (vdH 501 Hybrid) to the Technics just to ensure the capacitance value was as similar as I could get it between the decks. I also tried the Technics with a old Linn felt mat I have knocking around, and felt that opened it up a bit, but I still preferred the Thorens overall.

If you listen to specs you would prefer the SL-1200, it is quieter, more dynamic, gets up to speed instantly etc, but if you love the way Sonny Rollins phrases his sax lines or whatever the 124 just sings. It just gets the musical message across better.

I don't want this to read as a slag-off of the Technics. It is a very good turntable, beautifully made, staggering torque (you could use it as an angle-grinder!) and simplicity itself to set up and use. It is also totally silent, which an idler deck will never be. I just think the TD-124 is a rather better deck, which is fair as it would likely cost a lot more if made today. In fact I bet mine is worth more second hand than the 1200G new!

Hi Tony ,

The Technics is now sporting a Jelco arm ( liberated from my LP12 ) , the VTA was driving me nuts ( the Jelco sits lower ) it's only been on a day but it my intial reaction is that it improves the deck .

I'll start a thread when I've had some more listening time .

advertisement

Back