advertisement

Technics SL-1200MK2

That's the original SP10. Pretty spectacular for its time but not the same motor technology as the SP10/2, SL1200 et al.

Anyway can we agree that the comments about poles and platter weight are spurious?

Paul

From KABUSA website:

Technics Original MK5, M5G Platter Mat.
The thicker MK2 mat, 1/4" 17oz. has been officially discontinued. KAB still has stock on the MK5 mat which has the same scultured top, but is only 1/8" and 7 oz.

I imagine you can purchase a used mat from some audiophool "upgrading" their stock deck.

Anyone here who wants to sell their original 17oz matt I'll buy it! PM me.

That's the original SP10. Pretty spectacular for its time but not the same motor technology as the SP10/2, SL1200 et al.

Anyway can we agree that the comments about poles and platter weight are spurious?

Paul

I'm not convinced putting a platter/mat 4 plus times heavier than what a motor was optimized for is such a good idea. Has anyone done a direct comparison between two SL-1200 mk2's where the platter was the only variable changed?

I have stayed away from the heavy platters, on my deck I am running an Oyaide platter mat and the shorter of the two center-weights they offer.

With this combo I have never noticed any negative effects in terms of speed stability.

(I am running a MN bearing.)

STB-MS is 440 grams, and the mat is MJ-12 670 grams.

John, how do you think the SL1200 shapes up against your Linn?

I like it though I have spent little time comparing the two. I've had the LP12 disconnected from the hi-fi since installing the Klyde.

I'll record you a needle drop of each if you're curious to hear for yourself. Name a tune you'd like to hear and I'll PM you the link.

Thanks John, no need for needle-drops, I was just curious as to your own impressions / findings.

Anyone here who wants to sell their original 17oz matt I'll buy it! PM me.

You don't want that! This, from a prominent turntable designer on the SL1200:

Another crucial area of weakness is the record support and the default mat as supplied is the ill-thought out rubber mat, which as we all know is an appalling interface for a record

Another crucial area of weakness is the record support and the default mat as supplied is the ill-thought out rubber mat, which as we all know is an appalling interface for a record

Some say that the top surface of the Technics mats come very close to matching the impedance of vinyl. That quality makes the mat sonically neutral.

:D I bet Arthur wishes he could've sold 1% of the number of turntables Technics has sold.

:D I bet Arthur wishes he could've sold 1% of the number of turntables Technics has sold.

Funny how everyone is getting in on the Technics upgrade bandwagon that appeals to "audiophiles". I see he has a number of products to address the "flawed" SL-1200.

Given the number that have been sold and performance of the motor drive system I don't think it's so surprising that people would seek to improve the rest of it. I think in it's stock form it has some limitations but these don't prevent it being adequate for use in what has become its primary function ie as a reliable turntable for clubs & bars.

That said, I think there is room for some improvement and certainly getting the power supply transformer offboard is one such option. As might be fitting more compliant feet such as those made by Isonoe.

The tonearm is capable enough although some owners have fitted more ambitious designs with good results.

I've little doubt that it's possible to alter the sound further by changing the bearing design or indeed the platter although whether the outlay involved delivers commensurate improvements is down to each user. Personally I'd suggest that you get to a point where having bought an SP10 Mk2 initially might have made more sense.

Saw this ad and was reminded of this comment regarding the use of rubber mats. I suppose this is another company that has no clue about turntable design. :rolleyes:

18693189_1.jpg

My Linn Arkiv B passed away a few months back & while I'm awaiting ESC to give me a date to resurrect it I've been using the Technics & in all honesty I haven't really missed the LP12. Undoubtedly in a straight shootout I'd probably prefer the LP12 but I can certainly live with the Technics. Only modifications are replaced the stock phono lead with a TCI Viper, replaced the feet with spikes & using a Goldring 1040 cartridge.

Saw this ad and was reminded of this comment regarding the use of rubber mats. I suppose this is another company that has no clue about turntable design. :rolleyes:

18693189_1.jpg

I know this is only my experience and my ears but years ago I went through a massive experimentation with mats on my own 301. I tried felt, glass, cork, rubber, Achromat, leather, foam, plastic, polystyrene and various combinations of all of them.

My conclusion? Well, the Achromat gives a bit more midrange spatiality which is nice for classical music and the like but, overall, I felt the best sounding mat on a 301 was the rubber one it came with.

It seems those engineers weren't relying totally on guesswork...;)

Bottom line, the music held together and made more sense on the Technics deck. Piano notes were more distinct as well as bass lines. There was also better drive to the music especially noticeable on the Jarrett track.

Crazy stuff given the cost of both decks but not surprising to me given I've had the Technics deck playing for the last few weeks since I put a decent cartridge on it and have been quite content with it.

The LP12 is overpriced?

advertisement

Back