advertisement

Technics SL-10 thread

There are some alternatives in this thread.

The Ikea stands don't seem to be for sale anymore, but maybe they have a differently-named one. Gonna have a scoot around because I fancy some, if for no other reason than to irk the purists.

Marchy,

Does the SL-10 play vertizontally or am I thinking of that Mitsubishi table?

Joe

Marchy,

Does the SL-10 play vertizontally or am I thinking of that Mitsubishi table?

Joe
Hi Joe - I believe it can be used not only vertizontally but invertizontally too, presumably a feature for the antipodean market. I’m also told it gives stable playback in a car, should you crave the Vinyl Experience while cruising along the Four-O-One.

Today I have gone along the @Mark Packer and @Robert route and bought an old AT102P body with the intention of eventually fitting a posh stylus.

A couple of updates. Firstly, my AT102P body arrived from Canada. Now to decide on a stylus. I wonder if I dare go the whole hog with a VMN40ML? Maybe if a projected week’s work in November materialises. Or if my Winter Fuel Allowance payment coincides with Black Friday.

Secondly, the son of a friend says he can make me some of these on his big 3D printer. The single piece ones, that is. I’ve also asked him if the indentation on the side could go all the way though, so that may be a unique feature. He reckons one reel of filament will make two pairs, so I should have one pair to pass on. If you are interested, let me know. They will be in a generic grey, so you can finish them in your preferred colour. The price isn’t fixed yet, but I think we are looking at £25-30 for a pair. I guess I could ask him to make more if there is a demand - but this is all for the future, things move slowly in Marchbanks World.

Last edited:
A couple of updates. Firstly, my AT102P body arrived from Canada. Now to decide on a stylus. I wonder if I dare go the whole hog with a VMN40ML? Maybe if a projected week’s work in November materialises. Or if my Winter Fuel Allowance payment coincides with Black Friday.
Good morning, have you taken that leap and bought a stylus yet? It’s such a good turntable it really deserves something worthwhile.

Good morning, have you taken that leap and bought a stylus yet? It’s such a good turntable it really deserves something worthwhile.
Until today, no. I was suffering from my usual problem of listening to differing opinions and as a result not being able to make up my mind. (I know that’s not something one is supposed to admit to on pfm, but there you are.) Some said the VMN series were great in Technics linear trackers, others said they were designed for a higher VTF than their predecessors (the range that @Robert recommended), putting them outside the P4 sweet range. After that I found something called an ELAC that was meant to be an AT440M stylus in disguise. Then I found someone on a US forum said he had tried one and it wasn’t as good… so I hit my usual state of chronic uncertainty.

But then I read your post this morning and took another look round. I found someone selling a two-month old VMN40 for £110. I decided I could get most of my money back if I didn’t like the result, so…

tl;dr - thanks, you have just caused me to spend £110.

Other SL-10 news - I was asked to take a look at the first of the printed supports. Here it is. I’m pleased I asked for the sides to be hollowed out - I think that’s an improvement on the original look (and by extension all the commercially available replicas.)

20231212132607-51b0f90d-la.jpg

I just hope those supports have been cryogenically frozen and contain audiophile grade negative ion infra-red powder with quantum graphene.

I just hope those supports have been cryogenically frozen and contain audiophile grade negative ion infra-red powder with quantum graphene.
I’m going to stick little rubber feet on the bottom, which all the most important You Tube influencers (I’m talking Artie78 and Ronnie Reacto here) say is even better.

Yesterday I put the newish VNM40 onto the old AT120 body, went carefully through the full alignment procedure (ie put the screw back in) and pressed play. I watched the arm glide slowly to the middle, back again and stop. I tried again, this time remembering to undo the lock switch. A horrible low-level muffled sound. It took me a couple of minutes to remember that the previous cartridge was MC. I pressed the button on the back of the deck - success! Strange - I would have expected the level to have been too high rather than too low…

Going straight into the phono input on my battleship TAF770 it sounds rather good. Quite bright and exciting, but with nice rumbly toms too. And a very wide image. Definitely better than the old Ortofon MC.

Mine is back in my system after a few months resting.

I’ve used an SL-10 (and an SL-7) for a few years now. I initially thought it would be a good stop gap TT whilst my boys were little, but I rather fell in love with them on the journey. I think it’s the most fantastic bit of tech, and it sounds amazing too. I’m sure I’ll be shot down, but I far prefer the sound of my SL-10 to a 1200gr I had here recently.

I’ve tried most of the sanely priced cartridges over the years. I’ll say this quietly, but I found the epc310mc a bit ‘safe’ sounding, so I sold it here, along with an Audio Technica at312ep, to a nice chap from the States. Here’s my little stable of MM/MI TP4 carts.

For me, having listened to A LOT of TP4 carts, the ADC PSX range (also sold as SER series) are the top of the tree. I have the 10,20,30 and 40 styli. The 40 is truly superb, so I’ve stockpiled a few of the 116-DEZ needles so I don’t ever have to be without 😁. The Azden YMP50c is a great cart too. I treated myself recently to the TOTL VL stylus recently, but sadly it was defective, so it had to go back.

Between the warmth and flow of the Thorens and the drive and clarity of the SL10 I really do feel like I have the best of all worlds. I must contact Lindemann to see if it’s possible to repurpose a line in as a second phono in, so I can flick between them easily.

I've been aiming for this for a long time, but finally, I've installed my SL10, EPS-310mc in my study... and vinyl is music to my ears. The rest is a NetAudio-ed 405-2, Totem Sttaf and a KEF PSW2500 subwoofer, and it sounds to my ears, awesome!!!!!

When I've sorted out the capacitance of the phono board in the 34, I'll install an AT cart with the VNM40ML stylus...

9Hs26oj.jpg

I've been aiming for this for a long time, but finally, I've installed my SL10, EPS-310mc in my study... and vinyl is music to my ears. The rest is a NetAudio-ed 405-2, Totem Sttaf and a KEF PSW2500 subwoofer, and it sounds to my ears, awesome!!!!!

When I've sorted out the capacitance of the phono board in the 34, I'll install an AT cart with the VNM40ML stylus...

9Hs26oj.jpg
Very smart!

Thank you...

I've supported the Quad stack using 1 inch sections of clingfilm cardboard centre tube wrapped in acid free grey tissue paper. The diameter is large enough to fit over the feet. I can't think why but no one seems to sell tissue paper in RAL colours... although I've just found some Charcoal which may be a closer match...

@Mark Packer
I've been aiming for this for a long time, but finally, I've installed my SL10, EPS-310mc in my study... and vinyl is music to my ears. The rest is a NetAudio-ed 405-2, Totem Sttaf and a KEF PSW2500 subwoofer, and it sounds to my ears, awesome!
Well the constituent parts certainly did last w/end, bro. : D

As for the incidentals - I'm keeping my eye out for Useful Stuff our Interiors team might be disposing-of ...

Mine is back in my system after a few months resting.

I’ve used an SL-10 (and an SL-7) for a few years now. I initially thought it would be a good stop gap TT whilst my boys were little, but I rather fell in love with them on the journey. I think it’s the most fantastic bit of tech, and it sounds amazing too. I’m sure I’ll be shot down, but I far prefer the sound of my SL-10 to a 1200gr I had here recently.

I’ve tried most of the sanely priced cartridges over the years. I’ll say this quietly, but I found the epc310mc a bit ‘safe’ sounding, so I sold it here, along with an Audio Technica at312ep, to a nice chap from the States. Here’s my little stable of MM/MI TP4 carts.

For me, having listened to A LOT of TP4 carts, the ADC PSX range (also sold as SER series) are the top of the tree. I have the 10,20,30 and 40 styli. The 40 is truly superb, so I’ve stockpiled a few of the 116-DEZ needles so I don’t ever have to be without 😁. The Azden YMP50c is a great cart too. I treated myself recently to the TOTL VL stylus recently, but sadly it was defective, so it had to go back.

Between the warmth and flow of the Thorens and the drive and clarity of the SL10 I really do feel like I have the best of all worlds. I must contact Lindemann to see if it’s possible to repurpose a line in as a second phono in, so I can flick between them easily.
Nice stockpile! Is that a Shure on the end? I think my SL-7 still has M92E in it - which I really liked the sound of.

advertisement

Back