advertisement

Technics P-mount cartridge and stylus choices

Hi all

I’m currently using a Technics SL-QL1 with an Audio Technica AT3474 cartridge. Replacement cartridges are thin on the ground, obviously, but I’ve picked up two P-mount cartridge bodies, a Technics P202C and an Ortofon OMP. I’m wondering what my best option would be for a cartridge or stylus upgrade - a fair bit of my vinyl is well used and I’ve had good results with noisy vinyl on other turntables using fine line styli. Some comments on forums advise against using super fine lines with P-mounts though, due to the difficulty in making alignment adjustments.

Ortofon OMP: Stylus 20 (nude elliptical) or Stylus 30 (nude fine line)
Technics P202C: aftermarket hyper elliptical, Shibata or JICO SAS

Anyone have any experience of these options or any other views?

Om30 on an SL7 here.

I went straight to that from a 10 so no knowledge of the 20. I find it sufficiently satisfying to have snapped up low hours used styli when they come up as we can't be sure how long they will remain available.

Thakker has them but there is the complication of duty and VAT and a quick google suggests you will pay over £200 from a UK source.

Jim

I fitted a Grado P Mount Prestige BLACK2 in my brother in laws Technics SL10 to replace the original Technics MC when it lost one channel and apart from having to press the button on the back of the SL10 to cut out the internal MC amp everything sounded good and I've not had any complaints I think the Grado was about £100

eddie

advertisement

Back