advertisement

Technics 1210GR

SL-1200 with Isonoe feet, sat on Addis pads, sat on slate slab, sat on sorbothane pods, sat on Hutter, because, why not:

361715-E9-1-BEF-401-A-A40-E-FE3-C17-BD9-AA0.jpg

SL-1200 with Isonoe feet, sat on Addis pads, sat on slate slab, sat on sorbothane pods, sat on Hutter, because, why not:

361715-E9-1-BEF-401-A-A40-E-FE3-C17-BD9-AA0.jpg

Oh Alex, I just realised that you're in a position to compare the Addis pad+bumper combo against a known quantity: your Isonoe feet. One of my mates has Isonoe feet under his 1210 Mk2 and he swears by them. Sadly his deck is in a cupboard just now as he's just given up his music room so that his son can have his own room. If you got some of those PVC bumpers from B&Q and some spanner-head 6M bolts and nuts then you could compare the magic combo directly against the Isonoe feet. The result of which I'd expect to be clear cut: pads+bumpers to sound miles better!

I did what you did and put some Addis stuff beneath the feet on my deck but I now see that the deck's feet were getting in the way. For the pad+bumper combo to work its magic there really needs to be no other interface in the chain of contact between surface and equipment. I reckon the improvement I've just gotten is double what I had before. The thing is, I only thought about doing the nut and bolt thing after suggesting you could do that with your speakers - what goes around comes around :)

Let me listen to this Heath Robinson mashup first :)

It was a similar Heath Robinson lash up that led Vuk to come up with the ball bearing thing on the Naim forum many years ago, that Naim themselves then sort-of put into production with the Fraim wasn't it?

Incidentally Alex, how well does the arm cope with the XX2?

I’ve got the 1200G and I’ve read the arm’s effective mass is 12g which is rather light. Don’t know if the GR has a different mass but it might be hard to find a compatible MC.

I have an OC9XSH on a 1200G in an Ortofon SH-4 shell. Works great and very happy with the performance. Previously had the OC9II in there but had a little accident with that cart... But that cart also played very nice with the 1200G.

I have a 1210GR and have used several different cartridges.
Denon Dl103r was very refined.
I still like my AT440MLB, unfortunately not available anymore .
For everyday use I have a Nagaoka MP110.
I recently bought a Thorens TD 124 which matches my vintage equipment so the Technics has been shelved, I think they are about comparable on sound quality to my aged ears!
Thinking of moving the 1210gr on.

Just got a Funk Achromat and a simple weight - and my GR is sounding absolutely superb. With a nod to Alex's superb tweet above, I have the unit on an 10mm think acrylic platform supported by those pumped-up cylindrical multiple airbag thingies that are used to encapsulate mail order bottled goods. B&M Addis pad and B&O Diall bumper combo on the wish list!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What exactly are the differences between the GR and the Mk7?

If I'm forced to go MM to get rid of my hum problem, a Mk7 is an option.

I bought a packet of 40mm M6 hex bolts yesterday and was disappointed to find that the bolt heads had proud markings on top. The markings weren't tall by any means but I was hoping they'd have completely flat heads to ensure solid contact with the sticky side of the bumpers. No problem however, as I just dug out my Dremel multitool and after finding a grinding attachment, I smoothed out the bolt heads. I've only used my Dremel tool a few times since I bought it years and years ago, but when it's the right tool for the job, it's the right tool for the job.

Once I finish playing Ege Bamyasi I'll install the new bolts and pads and bumpers beneath my deck :)

advertisement

Back