advertisement

Technical question: can the S/PDIF interface send & receive 192kHz / 24 bit?

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
Hi there,

quick question as per the thread title: can the S/PDIF interface send & receive 192kHz / 24 bit?

I've googled it, obviously, but got an inconclusive picture. Some say it can, some say it can't. Even wikipedia doesn't seem to have a straight answer, and the German wikipedia article on S/PDIF states that it can't have a higher sampling rate than 48kHz at 24bit. (which seems wrong to me?)

One perhaps also has to distinguish between an S/PDIF output being able send 24bit/192kHz, and an S/PDIF input being able to receive data at this sampling rate and word length?

Thanks,
Samuel.

Generally a good quality coaxial s/pdif can handle up to 24bit/192kHz. Toslink optical s/pdif can handle up to 24bit/96kHz.

I think the complication in answers is related to what the spec required vs what is technically possible. I think 24bit/48Khz is the original limit, with I think some of the bits not being used for audio, giving 20bit/48Khz if I remember correctly.

As technology progressed, updated standards have pushed these figures up.

For example, ADAT from 1992 supported 8 channels of 24bit/48Khz audio, giving a rate of around 10Mbit/sec. Given current state of the art optical networking runs around 40Gbit/sec using basically the same technology, it's safe to assume that limitations on what is supported is not due to physics ;-)

I've googled it, obviously, but got an inconclusive picture. Some say it can, some say it can't.

Well, because some can, and some can't. Or sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. :)

As others have pointed out, it depends on the interface components and the situation. You are outside the official standard specs, but most modern components can deal with it.

The simple answer is 'yes'.

If the sender and receiver are both spec'd to work at 192/24 then you can expect it to work. IME.

What are you actually trying to connect together?

Paul

The simple answer is 'yes'.

If the sender and receiver are both spec'd to work at 192/24 then you can expect it to work. IME.

What are you actually trying to connect together?

Paul

A streamer's S/PDIF output with a digital input of a DAC.

The streamer would receive the occasional 24/192 material, but would it be able to pass it on to the DAC?

I knew that e.g. TOSLINK can't handle anything more than 24/96, but wasn't so sure about S/PDIF.

TOSLink may or may not work, it all depends. Coax should be fine. I play 192 over a 10m coax most days from an MAudio Audiophile 192 card into my DIY Buffalo based DAC.

It may matter that the cable is a proper 75R coax. Or 110R twisted pair if you are using a balanced connection. Coax is generally preferable.

Paul

advertisement

Back