advertisement

Teac VRDS 10 - Help!

poppop

pfm Member
Hi All

The transport mechansim is goosed on my loved vrds 10! Im told the laser is ok. The drawer opens/closes, the puck "lifts" but the laser refuses to budge form its resting place, and I guess consequently the disc doesnt spin??

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on where to send it for repair? If its at all economical I would really like to get it fixed!

Thank you.
Steve.

Hi, I just read your post and I have a similar problem. I put some lubricant (I used some engine oil) on the track for the laser head, and it seems to have solved the problem. The laser motor assembly seems to be very sensitive and if it sense that there is something stopping it from moving it will stop.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks champ!

Its actually gone, at the minute. If I can get it back or get the person thats got it to try it, Ill let you know!!
Cheers
Steve.

My VRDS T1 transport is sulking too. Firstly it started playing different parts of the same track randomly. Then in a very short period of time later the same evening the drawer wouldn't open and it can't read the disc at all. Every time I press "open" it whirrs a bit (doesn't sound as though it's undoing the clamp though) and the drawer doesn't open, then it starts reading the disc as though it had just bee inserted (but can't read it)

If someone knows of somewhere to send it then please drop me a line. It's modded a bit but all of the transport and the control are the same.

Cheers

Timpy,

Yes, exactly the same symtoms. Ive sent an email to a couple of companies who advertise repair of old/classic gear. Ill post if anything comes back.

Steve.

Thanks. I'd like to get it repaired, partly because I can't afford a new Theta transport (by about a factor of 10), and the Wadia DAC is now being driven by a Panansonic DVD player through the Optical (!! phut! phut!) input.

Oh well, needs must for now.

Cheers

I've repaired a couple of VRDS-10's.

In both cases I needed to replace the KSS-151 assembly and lubricate the mechanism. From memory I think the KSS-151 eas about £65 and the whole job takes about an hour.

Where are you based?

Every time I press "open" it whirrs a bit (doesn't sound as though it's undoing the clamp though) and the drawer doesn't open, then it starts reading the disc as though it had just bee inserted (but can't read it)

I had exactly this with my rotel rcd1070. Lubricating the various cogs and replacing the belt fixed mine (new belt nicked from an unused pc cd drive - not as hefty but appears to be doing the job). No problems since...

DavidY80,

I am actually in the NE of Scotland, but the VRDS is in Cambridge! I could get it posted to you for a look if you didnt mind? Thats provided it hasnt gone into the bin yet! LOL.

Timpy I havent had any replies so far, so if David was willing to at least have a look, he may be the saviour we are looking for!!?

Steve.

Hi Poppop, DavidY80,

You might be right. I'm in Cardiff, although I commute to Gloucester a few times each week. I'm anxious to get the thing repaired so if you're prepared to have a go DavidY80, for a fee plus parts of course, then that would be marvellous.

James, thanks - to be honest I have toyed with the idea of taking the transport apart for lubrication myself but I have't yet, mostly because I'm not sure what lubricant to use that wouldn't be too runny or too sticky.

DavidY80, what is the KSS-151 assembly, and is it worth having a spare whilst they're still available anyway? I'm definately inclined to have it looked at properly anyway.

Cheers

Hi Poppop, DavidY80,

You might be right. I'm in Cardiff, although I commute to Gloucester a few times each week. I'm anxious to get the thing repaired so if you're prepared to have a go DavidY80, for a fee plus parts of course, then that would be marvellous.

James, thanks - to be honest I have toyed with the idea of taking the transport apart for lubrication myself but I have't yet, mostly because I'm not sure what lubricant to use that wouldn't be too runny or too sticky.

DavidY80, what is the KSS-151 assembly, and is it worth having a spare whilst they're still available anyway? I'm definately inclined to have it looked at properly anyway.

Cheers

The KS-151 is the laser assembly that reads the disc, this includes some plain bearings that run on shafts within the transport.

I'm quite happy to look at them for you guys, but it may take me a couple of weeks given my other commitments. If you're happy to do this drop me an email to david dot young at at-view dot co dot uk

Timpy,

No, go for it! Ive emailed David to say it may be a little time till I get the guy in Cambridge to send it-- if its still there!

Lets know how you get on.

Steve.

...so with a mind to get the T1 sorted out I thought I'd make some sort of effort to remove the disc that was stuck in it before it went any where, ( you know to save any unnecessary embaressment) and so I started dismantling .... and got carried away...

But, I've found the problem! The symptoms had been random skipping of a track while it was playing, followed soon after by the inability of the thing to read a disc or even open it's drawer.

Dismantling the case, made all the more awkward by the addition of dynamat damping material; the glue from which seemed to have "crept" and glued the top cover to the rest of the carcass, I eventually managed to remove the transport mechanism complete with the offending cd still in it. The problem was to get it out. I couldn't manually manipulate the drawer mechanism no matter what I did.

The last part of the drawer mech operation is to engage the VRDS clamp. That description sounds much more grand that what actually happens, what it effectively does is move the cd up to using it's central spindle, to press against a plastic flywheel; the centre spindle moving up is operated by an arm driven by the main cog for the drawer mechanism. No matter what I did I couldn't get this spindle to come down and therefore couldn't get the tray to start to move. So I had to set about dismantling it (there's a theme developing here!!) ( BTW a bloke who services Wadia's told how to remove the cd tray but I still couldn't find how to do it and still can't mange it aven though I think I've identified the limit clips for drawer operation!!).

Anyway, one of the machines symptoms was it couldn't unload the cd drawer so I don't know why I was expecting it to be easy, neither could I Eventually I took the upper clamp assembly off, (this contains the motor that acutually spins the disc by the way) and the problem came to light. The spindle couldn't drop because the laser assembly was jammed under it. Not sure where it's supposed to park, but I can't be there other wise the disc would never come out.

So, I turned my attention to the laser sled. I couldn't move it for love nor money, I tried turning the only exposed cog (the only one at that point anyay!!) and it wasn't having any of it. Not surprised it wouldn't read the disc that was in there any more either then.

Anyway to cut a long story to ribbons, I dismantled the drive rack assembly thing; these being 2 pieces of nylon plastic and two springs that attach the laser on it's sled to the drve cog that I could get at. The one of the springs seems to be there to allow the sled a sort of sprung endstop BTW. The second spring is there sinply to hold the 2nd parrel bit of plastic in the rack assembly to incease the driven area against the cog, which to my mind it doesn't need anyway.... but I digress....

This was a joy, it was about 2 hours later I found the second of the 2 springs and the second plastic bit that disappeared as the thing unclipped (and I had taken precautions and used a floor with minimal clutter on it you have been warned!!!).

This allowed to me to remove the only exposed sled drive cog I'd mentioned earlier - to reveal the one underneath. This lower one isn't hard plastic but softer and deformable ..... and in my example broken into 3 pieces......:(

So, having done a web search for spares, I've ordered 4 cogs (hopefully one of which will be the right one) at about 3-4 pounds each and I'll see what happens when they turn up 7-14 days apparently!!

This cog breaking up explains the random skipping. Holding the broken pieces together jerky movement could be achieved of the sled. It doesn't explain to my satisfaction why the thing got stuck under the raised VRDS spindle though. Having reassembled most of it now (mechanially anyway), the drawer + spindle work perfectly driven by hand. Perhaps the limit microswitch has packed up which tells the unit the sled is at the end of the travel and that was how it got stuffed under there (there's two, one at each end of the travel).

Whatever happens I'll report back....

Cheers

Well, it's taken me a little while to test and report back but:

Saturday (a week ago this weekend) I stuck the new gear wheel in the laser transport, and after getting it back together - it all now works again perfectly!!

Judging by the soft construction of the gear wheel that had broken up, this is going to account for a number of failures of these VDRS transports (the cheaper version used in the T1 at any rate - don't know if the more expensive type is as prone or uses the same bits even), and will start with skipping/failing to move the laser to read the disk.

I bought the gear from "Charles Hyde and son" on the web
www.chsinteractive.co.uk. It's listed rather nondescriptly as "Gear B Rack", and it's part number 29001K.

Anyway, thanks for the help and offers of help guys.

Cheers

advertisement

Back