advertisement

Tchaikovsky 1812 - Telarc.

Hi, eisenach. I was trying to listen via optical digital, but could only get "digital noise". It's frustrating to not be able to output SACD digital signals via the digtial output, though. Is it possible for someone suitably qualified to re-route things to achieve this? Will have another go tomorrow, via the analogue outs, and see what happens.
Hi, Mescalito, thanks for the warning - it is a very dynamic recording, mainly listened to via phones so far, and, having already had one speaker driver rebuilt by Joe Ackroyd (thanks, son), I doubt if it can be done again.

This thread reminds me that I still own the Solti/CSO version on Decca, I think I have listened to it maybe twice. Listening to it at the moment, great recording, perhaps the most "hi-fi" thing I ever listened to - the cannonballs sound over the top, just crazy really. Truly perfect kaboom music, perfectly suited for Krell coffins and Wilson Audio Grand Slamms.

Those Telarcs, despite being early digital records, have superb dynamic range. About the best one I have is the organ symphony by Saint Saens. It really is 'light the blue touch-paper' on the final movement and 'stand back'

Yes and I've got a close miked organ recital from Salisbury. Sounds spectacular - captures the big tuba particularly well.

Those Telarcs, despite being early digital records, have superb dynamic range. About the best one I have is the organ symphony by Saint Saens. It really is 'light the blue touch-paper' on the final movement and 'stand back'

Yup, I've got that one as well.

Getting back to the Telarc 1812, Whilst I could get the cannons to track cleanly on my Transcriptors Ref./Fluid Arm/Goldring, The LP12/Grace/supex which replaced it?? No chance.

Chris

Maybe we can agree that it's not the greatest thing ever Tchaikovsky wrote.

My wife puts on the CD version of the Telarc 1812 if she finds herself flagging whilst doing the ironing.

All that sturm und drang get's her flying through it. It also clears all the wildlife from the area for hundreds of yards around.

Chris

I have it on vinyl and remember a succession of cartridges all failing to track it! Now it resides in my 'haven't played for a long time' pile!
The Akiva tracks it OK, but I wonder if it does it any harm......!!

Thanks, Nic, it's on order. Looking forward to listening to it. I've given up trying to get SACD playback in digital output from my machine. It seems rather pointless making a machine to play HD digital discs, then not letting you listen to it. Might try more DVD-A though.

Have you got it yet?
I used to love watching the cones of my Mission 770s coming out on stalks whilst playing the vinyl version.....make sure you batten everything down first!

Not yet, pauiltje, not yet, but anticipating a good session when it does arrive. There's something quite moving experiencing the low bass from an organ. I used to get a similar experience to you, but with Black Sabbath's Iron Man, where the air flow from the ports on my Doublets moved the curtains. Most amusing.

Mr Murray arrived this morning, paultje, complete with his organ, and...wow! what dynamics! Very moving, makes me wish I'd got a better system, the better to enjoy the listening experience, whch is realistic enough as it is. My initial listen was via headphones, with only a brief blast through the speakers, so haven't checked out speaker cone excursions - a pleasure to come. Many many thanks for the recommendation. To anyone with a good system, and a liking for church organ music and its dynamics, grab a copy of this disc, if you haven't already got it.

I'm so pleased you like it. I adore the way the big tuba has been captured in the John Cook piece. It's probably my favourite sound on any English instrument and hearing it transports me to Salisbury every time. Isn't the Schumann a gorgeous little piece, and what playing in the Durufle!

Enjoy (it)!

Nic.

I love this site,
You guys always seem to point me in the right directions to spend my pocket money! :D
Ive just Ordered this one (I hope)!

I was first introduced to Telarc CDs many years ago by a mate and `Star Tacks II`
The centre bolts came flying out of both his Kef Cara`s passive radiators when playing `Warp Drive`
I was MOST impressed to say the least! :D It was quite hillarious too!

My wife puts on the CD version of the Telarc 1812 if she finds herself flagging whilst doing the ironing.

All that sturm und drang get's her flying through it. It also clears all the wildlife from the area for hundreds of yards around.

Chris

I hadn't thought of it, but probably a good use for the music. Piotr Tch. would be most gratified.

advertisement

Back