advertisement

Tasteful hifi furniture?

loz2103

pfm Member
I'm pretty sure lots of you are going to disagree with me here, but am I the only person who thinks that there really isn't many tasteful hifi racks out there? Yes, I know this is incredibly subjective, as is all furniture, but the range of choice just seems so mundane. Tbh, I don't really buy into spending a huge amount of money on isolation, when it could be spent on speakers instead for example, but good cable routing and a design that has been based in considering separate dimensions is obviously desirable. With that as a must, my next aim is just something that looks great. We spend thousands on our hifi kit only to house them on bland Oak platforms. I suppose the question is, are there any, dare I say it, designer furniture makers who are considering hifi? Rather than hifi brands considering furniture.

I've just invested in solidsteel SS-5 speaker stands, there rack and speaker stands are superbly made. Analogue Seduction have a full range.

In general I would agree with you, but then again, it is all in the eye of the beholder-or buyer. I think mostly, I have found that there are a lot of household things that can make decent, as well as purposeful equipment racks, and so much less cheaper than the typical "audiophool approved" stuff. Some might require a little thought and subtle modification, but again, much cheaper and workable in the end. Just keep your eyes and mind open for what may be able to be repurposed!

Nice as always CK! Those Solidsteel stands are really nice, a friend of mine has his Guru QM-10's on a set, work really well and stylish to boot!

I made myself a unit from Ikea bits. The bottom is a "Besta" shelf unit, the turntable shelf is a cupboard door the same footprint, a couple of breakfast bar risers, and a loo roll holder turned into a headphone hanger. It's nothing "Audiophile" approved, and there's zero damping in the TT shelf, but if you're not drumming your fingers on it, who cares?

47435838231_bdd25b920e_c.jpg

I really struggled to find something that doesn't look to hi-fi and spoil the room. I've had BDI before and they're ok but they still don't look like furniture. I ended up just buying a nice cabinet and then using decent isolation on top of the shelves, which works well.

Another benefit of a cabinet rather than a rack is that they hid your cables too.....this might not be to your taste (I appreciate the colours are a bit mental) but it is tidy and the WAF is medium to high ;)

I really struggled to find something that doesn't look to hi-fi and spoil the room. I've had BDI before and they're ok but they still don't look like furniture. I ended up just buying a nice cabinet and then using decent isolation on top of the shelves, which works well.

Another benefit of a cabinet rather than a rack is that they hid your cables too.....this might not be to your taste (I appreciate the colours are a bit mental) but it is tidy and the WAF is medium to high ;)

I'd not get away with that. You must have a very understanding WAF !:)

Example, made.com media unit modified to suit.

Like those stands a lot too - I used to have the SS6 in silver many years ago and regret selling them. Something quite sculptural about them. Check out clicfurniture from Denmsrk - quite nice and clean lined design with endless configurability.

As a furniture maker since I left school, and working for a couple of high end furniture makers in that time, i'm currently in the process of setting up at home and working for myself. The possibility of producing furniture for hifi certainly appeals, with perhaps the option of a standard range and a bespoke service for those that want the ability to have something made to their design and specification, when what they have in mind doesn't exist, or is very feasible for mass production. Is that what the OP was basically alluding to?.. if so, it's something that I could concentrate on if others feel that that service is an option that is lacking today?

advertisement

Back