advertisement

Tao of Impulse

joel

Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors
What is it about Impulse. This is an amazingly undervalued label both musically and in the market.

I've picked up a load of stunning early-mid sixties releases over the last couple of weeks (most, not all, ABC, all RVG and all M/M) and been hard pressed to pay more than a tenner (15 quid for a Gabor Szabo album was tops). If these had been Blue Note...

The three really outstanding albums from my recent catch have been:

Archie Shepp - On This Night Possibly the best album of blues by a jazz musician I have heard. Archie sets his sax alight (metaphorically) while kicking and punching the boundaries, but always with the earth and grit of the blues.

Freddie Hubbard - The Body and Soul of Freddie Hubbard A brilliant big band setting with arrangements by Wayne Shorter in which young Freddie shines, and a truly Stellar cast of supporting musicians that includes Eric Dolphy, Curtis Fuller, Julius Watkins, Joe Jones, Cedar Walton, Melba Liston and many more. Superb production by Frank Abbey and RVG is the icing on the cake.

Illumination - Elvin Jones / Jimmy Garrison Sextet featuring McCoy Tyner One of the great backlines in jazz history with McCoy in elegaic mood. Has moments of almost Basra-like introspection. Proof that McCoy can really play (there are those that doubt this) IMO.

there are those that doubt this

Who are these people? They must be dealt with.

On This Night is great, but my favourite Shepp on Impulse is still Live in San Francisco. I don't think he's ever quite fulfilled the promise of his Impulse period, sadly.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back