advertisement

Tannoys

andy831

pfm Member
Yet another PFM er has today joined the Tannoy 15" club.

Come out the cupboard Ian and tell us all about them :p:p:p

EH....Who me:).

Yep Tannoy Canterburys on the way should av me mits on em on wednesday...christmas and little kid spring to mind.....

Ian.

Congrats, Ian.

Are the Caterburys from the current prestige line or are they vintage Tannoys? I'm a new Tannoyista and am still learning the models and company history, so my apologies if this is an absurd question.

Joe

John,

The Canterbury SE is a current prestige model, if that is what Ian has purchased.
I thought they might be a vintage design, given that Andy posted in the classic room instead of the main one.

Joe

P.S. Tannoyistas, what's the point of the ST200?

John,

I thought they might be a vintage design, given that Andy posted in the classic room instead of the main one.

Joe

Yeah sorry about that, its just that I have this feeling that the Prestige range just belongs here even though they can be a current model.

Incidently the driver in Ians looks to be a K series driver much like the K3839M in my GRF Mems so perhaps Ians date from the 80`s?

Just taken a peak at the table John provided, and I think Ians are Canterbury 15 which date from 88 and do indeed have the same driver as mine.

Andy,

If you're young enough the 1980s would be considered classic. Anyway, it's just as well to put the new-to-you Tannoy thread here, as some enthusiasts of mini-monitors with built-in amps haven't discovered the classic room yet. ;-)

Joe

Good question; Tannoy have always been pretty keen on HF - they used to claim response to 30KHz for the 80s & 90s polyolefin DC speaker series, like the Sixes, Profiles & Definitions. Mind you, they didn't for the "pro" System seris, which used the same drivers.

Hi All,
The speakers ive bought are from 1995 and have the 3889 driver in them...hope its a goodun.

Ian.

Joel,

If your speakers are good to 20k, or at least as high as your hearing goes, I don't see the point unless the ST200 has better dispersion.

Joe

Pepperpot tweeters get to about 17khz and then drop like a stone according to my measurements of the ones in the Chester and LGM, pretty much identical top end response in fact.
However, the response holds up remarkably well off axis - far better than I've seen from most domes.

Good candidates for super tweeters if you feel a more extended response is desirable, though I don't bother with mine.

The old pepperpots went mad over 7KHz or so, with a peak at 9KHz in early HPD's and the drop very high as Robert suggested. The later tweeter wave guide doesn't seem to do this, although the D300's we had on dem were rather fierce (tiny 6" driver too) and only had a DC driver as a token I felt. The D700's we tried were rather different and over-powered our dem room as I remember.

I suggest the super-tweeters help smooth the pepperpot above 7-8KHz as they start to come in at this frequency and I read somewhere they "only" go out to 28KHz or so and saw plots to prove it.

Dave,

Does not a separate tweeter, placed some distance from the DC driver, diminish the advantage of having a DC driver in the first place?

Joe

advertisement

Back