advertisement

Tannoys

they are all musically brilliant things - ultimately you need the right speaker for the right room - but i am sure once you reach Kensington (alnico's on up) then size vs room / amps etc becomes the determinant is perceived quality imho.

One thing I should have mentioned is that the Prestige drive units take a very very long time to run in. Mine improved for about 6 months!![/I]

I've heard Canterburys sounding like a pair of giant transistor radios.

Running in? I'll pass.

As in you, personally, have heard them in a decent room with a decent source/amp and, after deep consideration with music you know, dismissed the Canterburys as a gramophone ? And then you can describe your system.

A good valve amp will drive them with ease, effortless, delicacy and neutrality.

Steven, I'm looking forward to hearing your Turnberry SE at Scalford again this year.

Regarding amps, do you think they are fussy? I've got a fair collection of amps at the moment, but no pure valve power amp. My main amps, Unison Research Unico Pre/DM would seem to be hugely overpowered for such relatively efficient speakers, but I'm reading conflicting messages about what these new Tannoys demand. Have you ever tried solid state or hybrid designs?

One last thing; you had a tiny room at the last Scalford, if I remember correctly, but it worked. However I only heard mellow vocal music when I popped in. How big a room would you say they need to achieve proper scale with orchestral music and avoid booming with rock?

Steven, I'm looking forward to hearing your Turnberry SE at Scalford again this year.

Regarding amps, do you think they are fussy? I've got a fair collection of amps at the moment, but no pure valve power amp. My main amps, Unison Research Unico Pre/DM would seem to be hugely overpowered for such relatively efficient speakers, but I'm reading conflicting messages about what these new Tannoys demand. Have you ever tried solid state or hybrid designs?

I have only heard Turnberrys with my own Tube Distinctions valve pre and power amps and the Kensingtons with the four valve amps I listed above. The Soul monoblocks are hybrids though as they are solid state designs but for the output valves. The accompanying pre, the Soulmate is also solid state. The TD Soul amps are probably the best amplifiers I have ever heard anywhere ever, certainly in conjunction with Kensingtons but at well over £15K for the combo they bloody should be. No amp does texture, subtlety, nuance, evenness, neutrality as well as timing, speed and attack like them.

I have heard Ian Walker's Canterburys with different amplifiers and I cannot really derive any kind of consistent pattern regarding their requirements based on these experiences.

The Albarry monoblocks were like a big alsation dog taking a small chap for a walk in that they had no control over them. The sound was small, the bass was of the overhanging one-note variety and the whole effect was a timeless, tuneless mess.

The David Berning hybrid integrated was the total opposite. When this said, "sit!" the Canterburys obeyed. Immediately. This combo was a proper thwackmeister and drums sounded very lifelike in terms of dynamics. Unfortunately there was a lack of body and texture.

The TD Copper amp was the best all-rounder by far and Ian has his very own brand new one built to order just over 2 years ago. It delivers the full package of PR&T, texture, subtlety and an enormous soundstage when set up and partnered correctly with a decent front end and ancillaries.

Ian reports that a DIY 4-Watt SET amp called Mr Plank also has no problem driving them and sounding wonderful so work that one out!

I suspect that solid state muscle just sounds constipated through these.

One last thing; you had a tiny room at the last Scalford, if I remember correctly, but it worked. However I only heard mellow vocal music when I popped in. How big a room would you say they need to achieve proper scale with orchestral music and avoid booming with rock?

I will be in the same room this year. The bass is controlled no matter what the programme material is and room size isn't really an issue as long as the speakers are sufficiently far apart and away from the boundary walls. A broom cupboard obviously won't cut it (Room 19) and a really shit room like Syndicate 15 will also be problematic. If the system is well set up and partnered correctly it will sound great even in a fairly small space like Room 88.

I'd argue that the 'tube Tannoys' were the Silver and Red from the 1950s. From the Gold (late 60s) onwards it becomes much more a matter of personal taste and priority-set. In general I'd say Tannoys from this period onwards need rather more grip and power than the sensitivity figures suggest, but beyond that I'd not be prepared to side with tubes or solid state. Both are perfectly valid IME. I'd certainly not worry about too much power, only the reverse. I'd actually very much like to hear my 15" Golds with something like a 200 watt Krell flung up 'em, just to see what it was like!

advertisement

Back