advertisement

Tannoys ? Really ? What is it ???

They are either Monitor Golds or possibly very, very early HPDs. Nothing else has that control panel. Definitely not Reds (which don’t have a control panel at all).

Looking at the size of the treble controls and the darker circle on the fronts I'd guess 12" golds but still be prepared for surprises.

There used to be dozens of things like this during the early 1970s. There was a fad that lasted for a few years of very traditional furniture in response to the modern G Plan stuff. Most high streets had a reproduction furniture shop where you could buy this sort of thing. Genuine antique furniture was relatively expensive in the 70s and reproduction was brand new and cheaper but it was regarded as a bit naff.

I can remember the Dynatron speakers quite well but the fad died as quickly as it began.

My parents bought something like that in the 70's, not speakers, just furniture. Horrible. At least according to rumors, they where made to look 'antique' with, among other methods, whipping them with bicycle chains.

My parents bought something like that in the 70's, not speakers, just furniture. Horrible. At least according to rumors, they where made to look 'antique' with, among other methods, whipping them with bicycle chains.
Those with genuine antique furniture did mock the repro stuff who, in turn, responded with "well our stuff is not riddled with woodworm". The trouble was it just looked cheap compared to the real thing that survived because it was made by craftsmen using decent materials.

I once saw some Dynatron speakers on display in quite a large department store that looked ok from a distance but as soon as you got up close, they looked like sometime that a blind man had put together.

I did pop in a couple of weeks back to see what the drivers were but the rear panel had a good few screws attaching it so I left my number but didn’t hear back. The cabinets were very large and I think the drivers were probably 12” MG. I didn’t bid as I have plenty of unfinished projects inc a pair of Lockwood Academy 15” so am sorted for speakers. Saleroom shows hammer price was £750 + commission.

I did pop in a couple of weeks back to see what the drivers were but the rear panel had a good few screws attaching it so I left my number but didn’t hear back. The cabinets were very large and I think the drivers were probably 12” MG. I didn’t bid as I have plenty of unfinished projects inc a pair of Lockwood Academy 15” so am sorted for speakers. Saleroom shows hammer price was £750 + commission.
I can understand. It would be interesting to know what was inside of the boxes.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back