advertisement

TANNOY rectangular GRF cabinet "sound" differences - Windsor GRF and "normal" (plain) GRF ?

ronniemarker

Dear Fellow vintage Tannoy lovers and owners –

I hope that a few of you might be able to explain and / or shed some light onto my

Fairly recent experiences and revelations with 2 similar and yet different vintage Tannoy rectangular GRF cabinets that I have obtained and am using since just the past few months:

Cabinet # 1:

Rectangular Windsor GRF cabinet (with the flat beveled table top type of “lid” on top)

Fitted it my circa 1969/70 Monitor Golds 15”

Overall absolutely superb, tight, dynamic sound with a rock solid and slightly “thumping” bass

That I can best liken to a “disco speaker” type of bass – very solid, deep and most enjoyable to

My ears !

Cabinet # 2:

Plain (normal) Rectangular GRF (early type – NOT the ones with the curved top) cabinet

Fitted with my circa 1966/67 Monitor Reds 15”

Overall, supremely pleasant, tight and dynamic sound with noticeably “sweet” and crystal clear

Highs – BUT, a relatively “light” or “lean” bass (still very acceptable though) as compared to the

Above Windsor GRF cabinet which is fitted with the 15” Monitor Golds – AND, voice and

Especially female voice sounds absolutely wonderful and far better through these speakers than the Windsor GRF / Monitor Gold “combo” (from above). But, the bass “thump” that I also

Like and enjoy very much form the above Cabinet (# 1) is definitely missing and depending on the music that I am listening to is sometimes (definitely) “missed” !

My question and query to ANY of you experienced owners of either or both of the above cabinet / driver “combos” is –

Is this typical and therefore characteristic of each 9either of) the specific / particular cabinet and driver “combos” – especially as I place BOTH the sets of cabinets in exactly the same spot in my listening room – OR, is this something that is atypical and therefore warrants some further analysis, inspection, etc. – especially IF there indeed IS the (any) possibility to get BOTH the combos to sound more or less “the same” ?

IF anyone can shed ANY “light” on this apparent anomaly and thereby set my heart and mind “at ease”, I will be most grateful – because, quite frankly, even though I have now been using, listening to and enjoying my vintage Tannoys for nearly 10 years, I am a relative newcomer to BOTH these similar yet different vintage rectangular GRF cabinets – both of which are lovely in their own way and yet remarkably “different” sound-wise !

By the way – BOTH my pairs (15” Golds and 15” reds) are running absolutely bone stock – original drivers (50+ year old cones) and original (50+ year old) crossovers as well !

Any insights / thoughts / guidance, etc. from ANY of you to firmly place me on my own little path to audio Nirvana will be sincerely and highly appreciated.

Thank you one and all and please remain safe, healthy and happy during these difficult times.

Very Truly Yours (in vintage Tannoy),

Ronnie K. Marker

Mumbai

INDIA

advertisement

Back