advertisement

Tannoy HPD295 in modern "Legacy Eaton" enclosures

Tannoy385

Hi all,
What are your thoughts on putting original Tannoy Eaton HPD295 drivers into modern Tannoy "Legacy" Eaton enclosures (built by Tannoy incidentally)?
This would require a few modifications, mainly the driver cutout which from my reckoning means adding a new front baffle (circa 18mm) on top of the existing baffle (which has a round cutout for the modern legacy driver).
The new baffle would have a quartic cutout to provide the recess for the quartic chassis of the HPD driver. The existing round baffle is slightly too small at the four corners to allow the HPD to be recessed and would require enlarging (hence a new sub baffle to sit on top).
Also my intention to CNC grilles and add cloth from somewhere like MainlyTannoy.
Any thoughts?
Incidentally, I have purchased a pair of Legacy Eaton cabinets (no drivers) hence the question.
Would appreciate any advice or comments (good or bad)...
Thanks,
Peter

Wow, how did you get the cabinets without drivers?

Interesting project. I've currently got both 70s Eatons and Legacy Eatons in the house, but it will be a while before I post my developed impressions. What are you going to do about the crossover? And will you ignore the bi-wiring configuration?

I've got original Eaton as well. Enclosure volume is identical for both at 30 litres, but Legacy has excellent cross bracing plus better exterior finish. A slight mod to the vertical brace behind the driver is required to accomodate the additional length of the Alcomax driver (magnet, compression driver, "optionally" the magnet cover).
Two options for the crossover:
(a) use original - can actually have it mounted on front baffle like original with the level / roll off controls accessible.
(b) Aftermarket (or internally mounted) inside enclosure - there are mounting points for this.
Binding posts - again some options:
(a) use original terminal panel (with upgraded binding posts)
(b) use original with two additional binding posts for bi-wire
(c) New binding post plate with 4 binding posts (kind of like the "Legacy" has)
Part of me would like to retain as much of the original series and amalgamate into the new enclosure. At the end of the day, the HPD isn't that far away from the 10" used in the DC10A or Kensington so they should sound pretty good.

advertisement

Back