advertisement

Tannoy hierarchy

Bit of a mish-mash aesthetically now. I need to give this some thought.

Ignore Joel, he knows nothing, but it strikes me that an older Japanese integrated (possibly even an Accuphase) would make a lot of sense in that rack.

-- Ian

It needs some TLC - tends to stick a couple of tracks in. I have been mad busy with work recently, need to spend some quality time fettling it.

My wife couldnt get excited about the 215 DMT on Ebay today,they would have looked great either side of the Sofa,they went for £1700 to a Pinkfisher?

My wife couldnt get excited about the 215 DMT on Ebay today,they would have looked great either side of the Sofa,they went for £1700 to a Pinkfisher?

Well it serves you right for asking :p

I'd still have 'ickle Standmounts if I'd have asked permission.

And yet still I know absolutely nothing :)

Must book a flight soon, will drop you an email re. dates.

-- Ian

Tannoy prices have shot up since I bought mine from him a couple of years ago. Turns out to have been a good investment :)

-- Ian

His prices seem pretty steep - mine are pretty much identical to a pair there and significantly cheaper from ebay a week or two ago.

Tannoy prices have shot up since I bought mine from him a couple of years ago. Turns out to have been a good investment :)

-- Ian
It's all your fault. If you didn't shout about them so much I might have been able to afford them:mad:

Actually you might have done me a favour, my wife might have been tempted to bury me in one of them.:D.

Just a thought about revamping a thread.... a little unfocussed google-ing lead me to rather interesting find: it seems there's a cult around 10" reds. some serious people claim it's tonally the best tannoy ever and even in an almost a shoebox cab.

I'm currently flirting with an idea of having a second system in my wife's study (as an excuse to throw her out), 20m2 room, 3.2m ceiling. Not sure if I would put a driver bigger than 10" there, I think I read that a free resonance frequency of these is just 1 hz above 15", like 28hz. Can this be possible?

Maybe slightly OT (or not) - I've been toying with the idea of getting some Tannoy 15" DC drivers (I've seen some 3828 drivers with new surrounds to be precise) and was wondering how good they are (compared to other 15" DCs) and what's a fair price for them (drivers only, no cabinets and no crossovers). What cabinets can they be used in?

The only info I could find on them is: "3828 was used for a short period the 3838 replaced the 3828 the ONLY difference is a more rigid frame (basket)"

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you go over to the tannoy yahoo group there's tons of info there.The 3828 is a lower power version of the 3839 driver used in the M3000 Classic monitor and the Arundel and early Westminster, the Classic and Arundel are in 180 litre boxes. The driver also cropped up at the tail end of the Arden/Berkerley production runs too in 230/175L cabs respectively.
You need to check the surrounds are genuine tannoy tannoplas and not some other foam botch job.

Slight diversion - does anyone here use supertweeters with their Tannoys? Any opinions?

J

The Tannoy "super" tweeter apparantly comes in at an audible 8 - 9KHz and some unkind soul who measured one of them claimed (with pretty graphs to back up) that they only went up to 28KHz or so...

Bearing in mind the Tannoy pepperpot gets/can get a bit (very:D) lumpy from 8KHz upwards, the supe-tweeter may just smooth things a bit. It just depends how good your ears still are (mine wouldn't be bothered now I suspect :()

Talking of smaller Tannoys, has anyone recently compared the Eaton models from the mid seventies to IIILZ's (I think the eatons were better when new IIRC) to the LRM's etc?

advertisement

Back