advertisement

Tannoy factory in coatbridge ... housing proposal

hifinutt

hifinutt
sad news
Proposals are being developed to construct 60 new houses on the site of the Tannoy factory in Coatbridge.

A live online consultation event is taking place tomorrow to seek public feedback which will “help inform the preparation of detailed plans” for the land at Palacecraig Street.

The masterplan for the site, shared on a dedicated project website, states that it would include “a mixture of family homes alongside smaller starter or downsizer homes”, ranging from one to three bedrooms and from flats to detached houses.

It states: “Paloma Capital intend to bring forward a proposal for residential development on the land currently [occupied by] the Tannoy factory.

Derelict Coatbridge church and manse to be demolished
“Should the application be successful, Paloma Capital would then market the site to housebuilders to take the proposed development forward to the next stage, presenting even more detailed plans with specific house types – this will require further applications in due course.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...TAUGdOCMHg2h8wWDN79wXGE_pS5YB9opw-ZMmzKRWQ8zo

Perhaps there's a need for housing in the area, I wonder where the Tannoy Legacy and Prestige ranges are now manufactured?

They will get the application approved then ditch the affordable starter homes part of the plan, which they are allowed to do for “business reasons”.
Happens all over the country all the time.

Coatbridge isn’t exactly a pricy area to really need ‘affordable’ housing. But point taken...

I wonder where the Tannoy Legacy and Prestige ranges are now manufactured?

Tannoy no longer make anything in the UK. The cheaper stuff is made in China and the more expensive speakers are made in Romania or somewhere like that. Things change, it's just the way of the world and what happens when you get bought.

What is Tannoy anyway? Is it the name or the people? Because the people are still here! Fyne Audio are still based in Coatbridge and all of the staff, including the designers etc, are Tannoy people. So I'd say that Tannoy are still alive and doing well in Coatbridge, just under a different name ;0)

that would be funny as most of the models names are from the roads around the London factory before they moved

yes i used to live in chestnut road west norwood , very near these roads like lancaster , cheviot etc . Many years ago Guy Fountain [ the brainchild behind tannoy ] was in the army and became friendly with walter portwine . after the war they established lancaster motors in norwood road . walters father john worshipped at the local baptist church and made so much money in the first world war making tanks etc , he gave all the money to missionaries

there are some fascination stories in the book ` the tannoy story `
https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-tannoy-story/julian-alderton/9781789721690

i still have friends there from our very happy time in West Norwood

They will get the application approved then ditch the affordable starter homes part of the plan, which they are allowed to do for “business reasons”.
Happens all over the country all the time.

The place I worked in Hertfordshire sold off a section of our unused site for housing in around 2005. Much was made in the plans for affordable units for local teachers, nurses and firemen etc. When it all went on the market a 2 bed flat was about £400k.

advertisement

Back