advertisement

Tannoy Devon vs. Eaton

kevinrt

pfm Member
If you were choosing between the Tannoy Devon and Eaton what would sway you towards one rather than the other (assuming things like price & condition were equal).

regards

Kevin

I’m not asking for folk to tell me how they’ll sound in my room. Not sure that’s possible.

I’m after the others experiences of using these models, e.g.

speaker A sounded best close to a wall/ in a corner
speaker B sounded better with solid state rather than valves

regards

Kevin

I have a pair of 70s Eatons and a pair of Legacy Eatons. The 70s pair can go fairly close to a wall, or they can be used out into the room monitor style. They can also be used with push pull valve or solid state, but they do really like something like my Unison Research Triode 25, which is 4 x EL35 45W Push Pull. I've also used them with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium, which was good, but I prefer the Triode 25. My main amps, Unison Research Unico Pre/DM, which are hybrids, are very good but needlessly powerful. Whilst more refined, with larger scale than my Triode 25, there is something about the Triode 25 that the Eatons like. This is not the case with the Eaton Legacy, which really appreciate the extra power and grip.

I personally wouldn't consider original Eatons without tweaked crossovers. Some may disagree, but if they do, I would ask them if they have experience with Eatons specifically rather than Tannoys in general. My hunch is that these were voiced as monitors and come across a little ruthless if the crossovers are at original spec. I got them tweaked to take the region around 3-4Khz down a tiny bit and that really paid off.

Last edited:
I have a pair of 70s Eatons and a pair of Legacy Eatons. The 70s pair can go fairly close to a wall, or they can be used out into the room monitor style. They can also be used with push pull valve or solid state, but they do really like something like my Unison Research Triode 25, which is 4 x EL35 45W Push Pull amps. I've also used them with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium, which was good, but I prefer the Triode 25. My main amps, Unison Research Unico Pre/DM, which are hybrids, are very good but needlessly powerful. Whilst more refined, with larger scale than my Triode 25, there is something about the Triode 25 that the Eatons like. This is not the case with the Eaton Legacy, which really appreciate the extra power and grip.

I personally wouldn't consider original Eatons without tweaked crossovers. Some may disagree, but if they do, I would ask them if they have experience with Eatons specifically rather than Tannoys in general. My hunch is that these were voiced as monitors and come across a little ruthless if the crossovers are at original spec. I got them tweaked to take the region around 3-4Khz down a tiny bit and that really paid off.

Did you specifically choose Eaton’s over other Tannoy speakers?

Devons and Eatons are similar in size, so I guess for some users they would be obvious ones to compare. Are there others around these dimensions?

regards

Kevin

advertisement

Back