advertisement

[FS] Tannoy Cheviot HPD315a / RFC crossovers / custom cabs / bits!

Martian Sunrise

pfm Member
I have come to a point in my set up where I am ready to move on from my Tannoys and would like to try some other speakers, so after ten years or so of Tannoy fun and collecting of bits, I am listing the following:

1. 120L bespoke cabinets, made for HPD315a. These are made with 18mm birch ply, with the front, top and bottom laminated with 12mm MDF. Beautifully made by a professional cabinet maker and absolutely dead inside – it is eery when you put your head inside.

Build thread here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tannoy-hpd315-cabinets-“pt-ii”.252529/

I bought these from a forum member a while back and have been using them with standard crossovers, with the custom crossovers and with the RFC crossovers that I recently acquired. Hands down, these were the biggest improvement to the Tannoy sound. Amazing.

They also come with the stone bases that were made for them.

Untitled by Richard Howard, on Flickr

2. A pair of mint Cheviot cabs. These were refurbed by Cooky some time ago and are still in mint condish…

PXL_20211014_121248140 by Richard Howard, on Flickr

3. A pair of very tidy Cheviot cabs that have been modified by RFC. These have had a lot of work done internally, with sound deadener and foam. They have also been set up for the RFC crossovers.

I got these from Jack (NSM) recently.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-21 at 8.29.35 PM by Richard Howard, on Flickr

4. A pair of HPD315a drivers that have been reconed by Cooky and matched RFC crossovers. Not much to say about these – their reputation says it all. They are in a well made pair of boxes and come with all the cables to go straight into one of the sets of cabs above.

5. A pair of refoamed HPD315a. Close serial numbers. These were refoamed by Lockwood around 3 years ago and are still in great nick…

6. A pair of custom crossovers, made by Dan K, for HPD315a. These are very recent and are very impressive. They have been made with all the good bits (Mills, Russian NOS, etc – I can get a full spec from Dan) to a tested design. He matched the crossover caps to 1% with a Path Audio resistor and Jantzen inductors. Fitted with a Jantzen silver loom.

They sound fantastic and fit inside the cab.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-02 at 1.23.20 PM by Richard Howard, on Flickr

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-02 at 1.42.19 PM by Richard Howard, on Flickr

7. Two sets of standard Cheviot crossovers and the associated bits.

8. One pair of refoamed HPD315a cones.

9. I also have a pair of Townsend podiums that work well with both the big boys ands the Cheviots.

IMG_3455 by Richard Howard, on Flickr

At this stage, I would rather not sell the drivers without cabs. The RFC crossovers are matched to the drivers (serial numbers, etc), so they will also be staying together.

In terms of prices, it will obvioulsy depend on what you would like, but as a guide, I would want:
  • £3,500 for the 120L cabs with the RFC drivers/crossovers. £3,000 for the 120L cabs with the refoamed drivers and Dan K crossovers.
  • £2,500 for the mint cabs and RFC drivers/crossovers. £2,000 for them with the Dan K
  • £1,600 for the mint cabs with the standard crossovers.
There is clearly a far bit to take in here, so I am happy to discuss options/deals etc. Also happy to discuss a trade for some posh speakers. Probably floorstanders.

Give me a shout if you need any more pics…

Richie

I have sold the mint cabs, with the refoamed drivers and std crossovers.

this leaves me with the reconed drivers/RFC crossovers.

=in the Cheviot cabs, I am after £2,000
=in the big boys, I am after £3,000

£500 for the townshend podiums, if bought with the above.

£550 for the custom crossovers built by Dan K (these owe me well over £700)

still open for a swap for some nice speakers...

I am going to do a separate thread for these big speakers.

if anyone is interested, let me know.

open to other posh hifi bit as swap/part ex...

advertisement

Back